Aluminum mounting

I would think 3 hanging points would take care of any bowing away (of into) the wall when hung.

I talked to my prof. today and he was talking about some sort of tissue that you put between the aluminum and photograph and use a hot press and that tissue turns to an adhesive so that is probably the way I will go.
That is called a 'dry mount'.

Rockstar - Im not too worried about scratching it because it will not be shown. but thanks for the tip regarding if I needed to use some sort of different aluminum or not!

offhand - the reason for the aluminum mounting is because my overall theme is industrial night time photographs so I would like the metal to give more of the feel of the concept. I talked to my prof. today and he was talking about some sort of tissue that you put between the aluminum and photograph and use a hot press and that tissue turns to an adhesive so that is probably the way I will go.

sjgordon - the prints I saw seemed to be prints that were stuck to it. they didnt have that machine print look to them. at least Im pretty they were stuck to it. and thats a really valid point I didnt think about the floppyness of the metal. Would the floppy part be a problem when it is hung on the wall? I dont see it having that much of an issue but it might. maybe if I was to have three spot on the back to hang it two at the end and one in the middle so the floppy aspect wont happen?

What about cutting the print into 3 or 4 pieces, and cutting the metal to match the size of them? then just hanging them together on the wall to get the look of one big photo.

Sounds weird, but I think it would look cool. Here is an example of what I mean, but it is printed on canvas, not metal.

I have seen photos mounted to masonite. Its cheap and easy to work with, especially if you have a table saw. You could use aluminum color or even zinc galvanizing paint. There are also paints that give the look of a hammered metal finish. Just a thought if aluminum ends up being to much of a pain, or too costly. In either case you might want to consider putting a an inch or so thick peice of wood or other material in the center of the print, several inches smaller than the overall size of the print, that way it stands off from the wall a bit. It can give a more striking impresion because it is not on the same plane as the wall.

Most reactions

Back