Aluminum print

TreeofLifeStairs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
treeoflifestairs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found a groupon for a 20"x14" print on metal for $20. I figured I'd give it a shot. I got it and I like it but I am trying to figure out how to mount/frame it and where to put it. Depending on how the light hits it there can be a lot of reflection. I do like how the colors are represented and it seems to have a bit more of a lifelike appearance than canvas but I'm not sure I would get another. It was going to be $152 normally priced. I definitely would not pay full price for it.

Do any of you have experience with these kinds of prints? Are there certain types of pictures that look better than others on that medium (ex landscapes vs portraits)?

I like bright, evenly exposed well saturated landscapes, cityscapes, etc. I don't find images with people and heavy shadowing work as well on metal prints. It should come with a hangar system, but if not, you can simply epoxy a small piece of 'U' channel on the back to act as a hanging point.

Metal prints have been the mainstay of my cash flow for the last 5 years or so. I get mine from Bay Photo in San Fran area. I do my own color, and they do a fantastic job. I don't do portraits so i also think it's not the best for peeps as tired iron says. There are 2 images that I will make in 24x30. The rest are 30x40 and larger, up to 93 inches, I believe. I only do mine in high gloss and they are incredible attention grabbers. Mine come with 1/2 " spacers so they float off the wall for a contemporary look. Most photographers don't do them unless they are in a high end market as they are expensive. An example- a 30x45 with rounded corners and the spacing cost about $325 or so. If your clients or collectors are used to paying 3 or 4 hundred for your usual work then you will have difficulty. I'll send a pic when I locate one.

This was in June of 2012 just before the opening reception at Gallery 100 on Long Beach Island. I had four walls of aluminum prints. The gallery closed after labor day when the island is out of season. Then Hurricane Sandy came and destroyed most of the building. They sold quite a few of my prints but have not re-opened.
gallery100_zpsb0d1be82.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks guys, that was precisely what I was looking for. It sounds like I got a great deal on the print. It does have rounded corners but the mounting bracket was extra and I had the same thought that you offered up Tired Iron. The challenge will be getting it perfectly centered to make I balanced. The print is slightly bowed (I think due to thinner gauge material), so I may epoxy a piece of plywood to the back to flatten it out and give it that raised look.

I'll have to try out some well lit landscapes next time. I can see how that type of photo would work well on metal.

Is aluminum always used? Stainless steel would seem like a fair option too. Aluminum is somewhat brighter and cheaper, but I think if people are spending the kind of money they do on a metallic print they may want it on something that isn't used to hold soda. Just my thought, maybe people don't really care.

Aluminum is not cheap unless you buy cheap aluminum. There is a designation called "aircraft aluminum". Don't know why it's named that but evidently it means top quality. My prints are always perfect in every way. At times they have been damaged in shipping. They have always made good but it's a real hassle if a damaged print goes to Texas and I'm in NJ or FL.

We just started doing metal prints here at work......very neat stuff! We offer hangers for an extra cost. We can only print up to 16x20 though......:grumpy:

Aluminum is not cheap unless you buy cheap aluminum. There is a designation called "aircraft aluminum". Don't know why it's named that but evidently it means top quality. My prints are always perfect in every way. At times they have been damaged in shipping. They have always made good but it's a real hassle if a damaged print goes to Texas and I'm in NJ or FL.

Most likely they are referring to 5052, an aluminum alloy used in the construction of aircraft as well as a lot of household appliances.

Most likely they are referring to 5052, an aluminum alloy used in the construction of aircraft as well as a lot of household appliances.[/QUOTE]

That seems to ring a bell, thanks. But I do hear a lot of bells sometimes. Do you know this guy? Very sad acting old silverback living in monkey jungle in Miami.
silverback_zpsc5b6b43d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That seems to ring a bell, thanks. But I do hear a lot of bells sometimes. Do you know this guy? Very sad acting old silverback living in monkey jungle in Miami.
silverback_zpsc5b6b43d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Might be Uncle Benny. He moved to Florida quite a while back, then lost his keester in the dot com crash and his kids wound up sticking him to a "retirement community".

Lol

Most reactions

Back