Am I carrying a weapon or what?

graigdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My first time really taking my new camera into the public and it was a frustrating one. It wasnt really that big of a deal but I was surprised it was such a big deal.

First off I get into Tower City in Cleveland. its a huge mall. 4 stories high. it also connects to the Gund Arena. The Cavs play there among other things.

Well Im taking pictures of the architecture and some of the people in the mall. Well one of the rent-a-cops come up to me kinda pissed off. Hes shaking his hand and says "you cant take pictures here". So I just start laughing and then wonder if he is going to try to take my camera. (he didnt know that the only way he would take it was out of my dead cold fingers). He says that you cant take pictures of the store fronts or anything for copyrite purposes. Still laughing I say "what about the archtecture? can I take pictures of the ceiling?" He says no. I can take pictures of the people, but nothing else... :roll:

Well he can try to beat me with his only form of protection, his maglite. I just shoot from the hip when hes lookin my way.

Heres incident #2. This was MORE expected but still interesting. Its time to go to the Cavs game. Im in line to give them my ticket and they ask to see my camera bag. I open it up and the cop looked like he was ready for it to blow up in his face. He sees a tripod and a bunch of compartments with black boxes and black bags. I explain its camera leses.

Well no sooner that happened there was 3 or 4 cops standing over me. ends up its ok to take my camera, bag and lenses. but I need to check in the tripod. so I have to walk to the other end of the arena to give them my tripod. The cop rolls his eyes when I told them what happened. He didnt seem to see what the deal was with any of what I had.

Im an easy goin guy, and all I worried about was having my camera with me AT ALL TIMES. I wasnt gona give it up. The Copyrite situation was just mind blowing to me.

anyone else go through anything like this?

Yeah.. never had a problem. But gezz... I think I would have just left that rent-a-cop alone and went to the other side of the mall. Both stories... totally ridiculous. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Basically, these guys see big lenses and tripods and freak. First thought in their minds is that you are a pro. For some stupid reason (sometimes management's policy) they prohibit "commercial" photography. Probably because they can't stand the idea that someone might make a few bucks. It's really weird but in some places, once they think you are a pro, they are really gunning for you. Other places, a pro is treated like royalty. Anyways, they can request that you not take photos on private property. Public property is generally considered fair game. They can NOT take your equipment away and can only ask you to stop shooting. If they try to take your equipment, start hollering for the police. Best way to get around these guys is to tell them that you are a lowly student and are simply taking photos to meet the requirements of your course. Possibly a fib but... Oh well! Sometimes you need to tell them what they want to hear. Just make sure that if you intend on selling any of the photos, that the building management doesn't have a problem with it. Being a student seems to give them the idea that you are harmless (which is probably true) and they will usually let you photograph anything you want.

well if they would have seen my ticket they wouldnt have worried about the tripod. I couldnt have been any farther away.
48387468.jpg

that reminds of a thread that sharky started a while back... what if you told him "I'm going to shoot something today...."
:gun:

vonnagy said:
that reminds of a thread that sharky started a while back... what if you told him "I'm going to shoot something today...."
:gun:

I would PAY to see that reaction!

Sweet! I know a few guys that would like photography if they saw that!

And just when I thought they had it all......

Most reactions

New Topics

Back