am i picking the right lens

dwarrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys

I will be in the market for a new lens soon. I am going photography of action sports. As I understand the lens I want is a telephoto lens, because it lets me take close up pictures without being close up. I also understand that I want a small f-stop to allow for a faster shutter speed and better performance in low light conditions.

The camera I am using is a canon rebel xt. I am aware I need the auto focus motor inside the lens, but they seem to be quite expensive. (I know even used they are not cheap, and I don't want the cheapest thing out there but I don't want to max myself out on one) Is there an option to screw on another lens onto the threads of existing lens?

I am still new and learning so if you could recommend something or if I have the specs wrong in the first bit please correct me. Ive been taking lots of pictures and still learning the functions of the camera and I am really enjoying it.

Thanks

Dylan

while I dont think you can really screw on another lens, to get say, a 55mm + 200mm for a 255mm lens, you can get teleconverters in the 1.4 and the 2X variety, which will basically just mutiply your focal length by the number, so your 200mm lens becomes a 400mm lens with the 2x converter on. Only problem with this is you lose a little light, so its better to have fast lenses such as 2.8's to start, because losing a stop of light on a 5.6 will mean you need bright sunny skies to shoot clearly.

and I think Canon has been doing the motor in the lens for a long time, so any canon lens will fit. You may be thinking of USM, which is just their silent motor AF system which is fast and silent.

But yes, if you are looking for a tele zoom with a wide aperture, expect to pay for it. Prime may be the way to go for you if you are on a budget, but it all depends if its outdoors or not.

well you own a nice camera, now you need a nice lens to compliment it :)

as i have noticed since i am relatively new to the scene too, is that like most things... you get what you pay for.

yes there are cheaper options, but you just end up saving up for a better lens later on.... costing more money, than it would if you bought the right lens in the first place :(

a 200mm or 300mm lens would be a good start, but there are many... all depends what your budget is.

and i dare say... you will need more than one lens :(

the shooting will be all outdoors.

I am looking for something in the 500 range if possible.

Always remember that when shooting digital you have the crop factor the camera. Being that the Xt is not full frame like the 5D, a 300mm lens is really 450mm, just by the 1.6 crop factor. I would pony up and save some dough, grab a 70-200 2.8 L glass from Canon. Buy it once is what I say.

Always remember that when shooting digital you have the crop factor the camera. Being that the Xt is not full frame like the 5D, a 300mm lens is really 450mm, just by the 1.6 crop factor. I would pony up and save some dough, grab a 70-200 2.8 L glass from Canon. Buy it once is what I say.

you'd have to add a teleconverter as well. If he really needs 500mm's even cropped the 200 is only 300mms. Either way expect to spend some big money.

Not sure of the quality, but this may be the cheapest route for you, provided you have nice sunny days.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...613&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

What sports are you planning on shooting with this lens? Different sports need different length lenses. For example, football is tough w/out a 300, hockey would be impossible with one. Baseball will work with anything above about 200 unless you want outfield shots.

Are the sports indoors, outdors (night/day). If you're shooting exclusively outdoor day games, then you can get by with a cheaper 100-300 f4.5-5.6 or something like that. however, once you get into the more taxing situations, you'll really need the f2.8. I second the 70-200 f2.8 lens. Its a great buy and you won't regret it. Plus, with the crop factor most sports can be done adequately with a 200 lens. (I shot several football games this season w/ one b/c the "real" photogs had all the 300s (i was an intern)).

You might want to look at the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 or Canon 70-200 f4L. I started with the Canon but quickly wanted f2.8 (so I got the 2.8L IS!)

Small f-stop as you put it is a large aperture (as you lower the number you open up the iris of the lens (like opening your eyes) which lets more light in therefore allowing much faster shutter speeds.

You would be happier and get better results with a 70-200 f4 if you cant get the 2.8. I have shot with both and the speed of the 2.8 is nuts, and thats what you need. Keep checking around for that f4.

Get the best you can afford. You won't regret it. You may however regret f4 over f2.8 and for the sports you noted the f2.8 would be very handy especially as light levels fall.

look at the sigma in this range as well. My proffessor has th80-200 macro and it is a VERY nice lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back