Am I Ready for a DSLR???

Franz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am shooting with a Canon S3 IS. I normally use full manual mode and still trying to get the hang of everything (only been shooting for 3 months).

I want to reach a peak with photography skills on the S3 IS before I upgrade to a DSLR...am I there yet???

Here are some recent photos.
Shutter and F.stop varied.

Please critique the photos as well...all comments will help me out.

Thanks

3357520895_0192acd95a.jpg

3357520013_1606117797.jpg

3195242304_05ab4f7cf4.jpg

3195243326_5995bff155.jpg

3195243484_8fcb759a89.jpg

1. doesn't really do much for me.
2. I like it. I think the DoF is really cool.
3. again, pretty cool... I do like the DoF.
4. the head is distracting. I'm not a big fan of stained glass, but that's my problem. :)
5. too dark to have any real meaning to me, it might have been better if it were a little better exposed.

I want to reach a peak with photography skills on the S3 IS before I upgrade to a DSLR...am I there yet???

Having never owned a digital SLR until I got mine in December, I briefly considered one of the superzoom bridge cameras, but since I have the fundamentals down (in that point and shoots are not good for anything other than their convenience and their ability to fit in my pocket), it felt like a waste because it would very soon limit my creativity. The lenses are versatile, but one big advantage to a DSLR is being able to use specific lenses to achieve the results you want. And I don't think the S3 has a hot shoe, does it?

I guess what I'm trying to say is... if it's a DSLR you eventually want to master, why waste time on a camera that's not a DSLR?

If you have a basic understanding of manual settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc), then there's no reason you can't learn and grow into a DSLR. And all entry level models (like the rebels if you're going to stay with canon) have automatic modes, and shutter/aperture priority mode to get you started.

And a DSLR will have higher ISO capabilities. From what I remember when researching cameras, the powershot IS's only go to 800, and my rebel goes to 1600.

Go for it. Once you experience the thrill of DHL pulling up in your driveway with a new lens, you'll be hooked. (That is if you pay for expedited shipping because you can't stand to wait two weeks for it arrive.) :lol:

Is your question if you need to upgrade or that you want to upgrade? The only time you "Need" to upgrade is when your output is limited by your equipment and you are forced to deliver an inferior product to what you could have delivered w/ more expensive or sophistocated gear. In all honesty, very few of us "need" to upgrade, myself included. "Want" is limited by your wallet, credit line and common sense. Don't confuse the two though.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add. If you have the money, get a DSLR. They're far more fun in my opinion. :)

It is all an issue if you are limited by your camera. Remember, you don't have to shoot in Manual, Shutter and Aperture priority are the best. I have no experience with the S3, but I would highly recommend a mid-range body if you can swing it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... if it's a DSLR you eventually want to master, why waste time on a camera that's not a DSLR?
Exactly. For me the only reason not to move up to a SLR would be if you just can't afford it. Even then - If you're willing to buy used you can probably find something you can afford. If you still can't afford it, you could go even cheaper and get a 35mm SLR.

The only time you "Need" to upgrade is when your output is limited by your equipment and you are forced to deliver an inferior product to what you could have delivered w/ more expensive or sophistocated gear.
Yes, but you would not know what you could do with more sophisticated gear unless you try it.

At the very least, befriend someone who has a DSLR and try it out.
I say go ahead and get one though.

Just the fact that you are using the (very limited) manual mode on a P&S camera tells me that an SLR is in your future. You may or may not have pushed your current camera to it limits, but you will certainly out-grow it if you're looking for more than "a camera that fits in your pocket".

Also, misspelling "sophistocated", doesn't really help.

GRAMMAR NAZI!!

:lol:

Johhny.

I just checked again.

Mwahhhahha.

1. It looks like a nice picture, but I think you should have just focused on the beach and the sunset instead of the plants.

2. Nice looking DoF. I like!

3. Another nice looking DoF picture. The fences (I think they're fences right?) has some details! I like this one too!

4. Looks like a nice picture

5. I think if you got a shadow shot of the buildings, it would have looked nice!

Ask yourself this...do you feel you aren't able to get the images that you want with the S3 IS?

Once the camera can't do what you want, it's time to upgrade.

I dont think its a question of if yuur ready. I still have my S3. I dont think i mastered it because you cant. You can pull of some really good images but, its not a SLR. If your happy with your S3 but want more, get an SLR.

Thanks for the info and critiques everyone!

I bought the Canon S3 IS because it is known to be one of the better point and shoot cameras (that doesn't fit in you pocket by the way). It is capable of filters and lens attachments...I have a wide-angle/fish-eye lens, PL filter, and a UV filter.

I am very satisfied with Canon and probably stick with Canon when it comes time to buy a DSLR. Like I said, I am still learning more about the S3 IS and photography in general. I guess I will stick with S3 IS for a couple more months and upgrade within the next 9 months.

#2 is by far my favorite that is a nice shot good work .

#3 that is also a cool shot love the DOF on this one.

Most reactions

Back