Amateur < $750 Budget Summary

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Pitchingace88, Aug 25, 2015.

1. robbins.photo

robbins.photo Yup, It's The Zoo Guy Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    No worries about buying used, all of my equipment is used, never had any issues.

KEH is a great source for used bodies and lenses. I buy from them a lot, never had any problems.

Sent from my 306SH using Tapatalk

2. Emanuel M

Emanuel M No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Ofc ;)
    It's an average/good "normal" kit lens :p
    I always take it to landscape photography. With good light it's a good lens - a little distortion and fringing at it's widest, a little less sharpness at 55mm, but not bad at all.
    I am not a good photographer (i am at the very begining, discovering the world of photography), and i don't know if i can share this Flickr album here (sorry if i can't, and delete please) - but these were all taken with the 18-55 kit.

Isla de Lobos (Fuerteventura)

All in good light, all processed after in LR

Cheers

3. Pitchingace88

Pitchingace88 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I need to go on vacation where you are lol! Considering the "kit" lens only tends to be <$50 if you buy them together... I will probably go that route in the beginning and go for a higher body, such as D5300. Looking forward to sharing my purchase and thoughts :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Emanuel M

Emanuel M No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Agree.
    I think it's always worth to buy the 18-55 because it's so cheap with the kit.
    Others like the 18-105 and 18-140mm are also good, but they are really expensive in comparison, and not that good value for money.
    I much rather prefer having the 18-55 + 55-200 than the 18-140mm.

I think going for the 5300 + 18-55mm + 35mm f/1.8 for the baby (indoors, portraits, etc.) it's a really nice start.
    If you want to go crazy later on, check the sigma 18-35 f/1.8 - i was losing my mind about this lens, and almost bought it instead of 35mm - but it's kinda expensive...

Cheers

5. Dave442

Dave442 Been spending a lot of time on here!

The D3300 baby baby camera and kit lens. Add the 35mm f/1.8 just so you have lenses to play with while the baby sleeps.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    You WANT a zoom...you WANT that 18-xx or 18-XXX focal length range. That is why Nikon has been making 18-xx and 18-xxx lenses for ten years now...so you can have some wide-angle options. The 35mm f/1.8 prime is a normal lens...no zoom...every image has the SAME angle of view with it.

Not saying a 35mm f/1.8 lens is a bad lens; but as an ONLY lens, it's going to be a PITA to use the camera in many situations.

I would get the 18-105, or 18-135, or the newest, the 18-140mm VR lens.

The older Nikon SB-600 flash is a nice flash, and will work well with the D3xxx or D5xxx cameras, and is not a $59 made in China cheapie...it's a solidly-made flash. Ex-wife's D600 flash from X-mas 2004 is still working great...

I agree...the refurb 5300 from Adorama for $489 is a good deal. Nikon D5300

7. Rob5589

Rob5589 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    PM sent...

8. matt_m

matt_m TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Costco has the D3300 with the 18-55 and 55-200 VRII lenses, the wifi adapter, a bag, and a 16GB SD card for $650. I just bought the Neewer VK750 flash at Amazon for $50 and change based on reviews. Just played with it a little and it seems to be a good buy. If it doesn't last I'll replace it with a Nikon Speedlight.

• Like Like x 1
  9. manicmike

manicmike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I shot my sister in law's wedding with her d3300 kit. I was pleasantly surprised by just how well it did throughout the day.

10. gryffinwings

gryffinwings No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

You are going to want to get a 35mm f1.8g or a 50mm f1.8g depending on which focal length you prefer for the pictures, man reason is that you don't really want to use flash with a newborn, you'll probably read that it's usually better to not use flash.