Amateur Photographers - Why Do We Do It ...... Really

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Tropicalmemories, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Grandpa Ron

Grandpa Ron No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Photography is one of several hobbies I have acquired over the years. They are all pleasant pastimes and quite diverse. The common denominator is I enjoy perusing them.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The desire to create something that will live beyond me.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have always loved wildlife and for me with my photography, turned it into a serious hobby since my retirement.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As a full time professional photographer, I don't think this is my job. It's something I love to do and I just happen to get paid for it. Before I got paid to do what I do, the idea of translating my imagination into something that others can see is amazing. Over time, it becomes so precise that it is even better than what I have in my own head. It's a lot more fun when that happens.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. AlanKlein

AlanKlein No longer a newbie, moving up!

Because I can't draw. Also, I like the smell of film.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Photo Lady

Photo Lady Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe because i was a artistic student in school.. in kindergarden i painted the tee pees we made for american indian study with deer and buffalo and horses... everyone was impressed... since i was not a very outgoing student and i did not seem to excel in anything else like my art.... It became my expression and my way of dealing with all the peer pressure we face as a kid .. so now photography brings this enjoyment to me again with capturing all the beauty and things we take for granted.. gives me a really artistic feeling in my life again since my art mostly was of animals.. and nature.. my photos have given me much pleasure..so much like my long ago art.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  7. JoeW

JoeW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    1. Why do people play music on the weekend? They aren't going to get gigs or make money. We do this because we like getting better at something, we like mastery. And for some of us, the "mastery" element is a critical piece.

2. It's creative. Some people paint. Others throw pots. We make photographs.

3. It's fun. Fun for different reasons (go new places, go cool places, meet interesting people, see the world from a different perspective).

4. And I agree with Derrel's response of something that will outlive him.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. pocketshaver

pocketshaver TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

9. Zen1300

Zen1300 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

For me it started in a darkroom in the house I grew up in. My dad would take me down and show me what he did. He was semi-professional.

I was fascinated at taking the photos, developing the negatives, and prints - black and white. So many mistakes that when that one photo came out as imagined, it was magic.

I have to be honest that digital has spoiled me. It has probably made me lazy in developing this craft. 200 captures producing maybe 20 useful sports images.

After taking it semi serious for 35 years, I’m now trying to look more closely at my process. Take more time and have more patience in learning.

I don’t see myself going pro. I do it for me. I don’t want the pressure of pleasing others with my work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like Like x 1