Amatuer Photographer not sure what her new camera should be..?

Bliss.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey:)
I currently have a not-so-great kodak Z650.
I'm hoping to get a new camera soon.
i'm currently thinking i want the Nikon d80.
I shoot many different types of picture, from people to landscapes, still-life and action.
I can't decide if i love color or black&white better.
I need something with excellent focus (close-uo and far away)and exquisite quality.
I also want something that can take clear and great pictures in any light (i konw i probably need different lenses for this but like i said, i'm new haha).
I am, however, sure that i want a DSLR camera, though i doubt that helps any, haha.
i just wanted some backup opinions before i make my final decision on a good camera.
thanks for your help.:)

-Livie.​

Mainly nikons and cannons.
i've heard that i should stick with companies that only make cameras.
The nikon D90 is very nice as well.
As for cannons, i dont know any specific model names.
and my budget is upto about 500$, but there are sites where you can get higher class cameras somewhat used.​

Nikon D80 is a fine camera.
D90 is a decent body as well, just a bit newer.
I wouldn't go any "lower" than the D80/D90 in the Nikon lineup if you can avoid it.​

Alright:)
So is there a major different between the D80 and D90?​

The most noteworthy difference is the live video, but a quick google
search will get you a very nice side-by-side comparison.​

Alright,
thank you so much!​

Absolutely
no
problem!​

ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha​
ha

$500 isn't going to get you a D80 or D90, not even used. I would go with a D60 used for your budget. Check out this deal.
D60 refurbished - Adorama.com
That's a D60 refurbished body but you're going to need a lens so you could just get the kit lens.
18 *55mm* nikon VR - Adorama.com
Kit Lens w/ VR refurbished'

That puts you at $460 then you need to worry about a bag, memory card, strap, etc...

Nikon makes ... Film + Digital Cameras, Camera Lenses, Optical Scanners, Binoculars, Telescopes, Eye Glass Lenses, Equipment for the manufacturing of IC's and LCD's, Microscopes and other measuring Instruments.

Canon makes ... Digital Cameras, Camera Lenses, Optical Scanners, Printers, Binoculars, Video Projectors, Video Cameras, Calculators, Copiers, Fax Machines, Broadcast Cameras and Optics, Ophthalmic Instruments, Motors, Equipment for the manufacture of Semiconductors, and Digital Radiography (DR) Systems.

I do not think there is a company that only makes Cameras/Lenses.
The major camera manufacturers have their roots in industrial/medical Optics (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Leica, Zeiss, Pentax) ... so they continue to make many devices that use Optical components.
Sony did not start as an Optical company ... but they went on to produce some of the best Broadcast Cameras in use. Then they purchased the technology from Minolta/Konica for their DSLR's.
Kodak makes many Photofinishing related products, as does Fuji.

and my budget is upto about 500$, but there are sites where you can get higher class cameras somewhat used.
For $500 you could get a Canon XT, XTi, XS, XSi, 20D and maybe a 30D used. The first three you could get with a lens or two. You might be able to get the 20D with a kit lens but the 30D would be just the body. I'm guessing you need both the lens and the body so the 30D is out. The 20D is an older mid-level (serious amateur/semi-professional) body but it's still a good performer. The XT, XTi, XS and XSi are all entry level Canon DSLRs and they are all good to learn/start with.
I need something with excellent focus (close-uo and far away)and exquisite quality.
I also want something that can take clear and great pictures in any light (i konw i probably need different lenses for this but like i said, i'm new haha).
These qualities have more to do with the lens than with the body. The better the lens you have, the better the performance and image quality will be.

Mainly nikons and cannons.
The nikon D90 is very nice as well.
and my budget is upto about 500$, but there are sites where you can get higher class cameras somewhat used.​

On eBay, search for Cameta Camera, it is a store in upstate NY that auctions new cameras on eBay, to increase their business. All have fully warranted or you can buy one directly from them on Ebay with a "buy it now" price which is quicker, but still lower than retail stores.

Bought my Nikon D200 and several other items from them. Good Service and prices. Sometimes you can grab a camera at an excellent price that is a Demo, like I did. Personally think they are not really demo's, but they say they are so Nikon does not complain about the price.

You can get good deals on a D80 or D90 there.:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back