Amish boy caught me by surprise C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This young boy caught me by surprise and came driving quickly by the car. I shot this through my windshield and had a 70-300 lens on my Nikon D7000. Would love to know what you think ~ now I'm thinking I should have turned around and got him after he passed but I got so excited to catch him.

Attachments

• $DSC_3701.JPG
    $DSC_3701.JPG
    470.7 KB · Views: 314
The Amish usually don't like having their picture taken.

I know, I should have captured the photo from the back. I was shooting horses in a farm across the road and then suddenly the horse and buggy came rushing down the road. It was hard to let him go by without a photo.

Hmm, so you have a fair idea that the guy probably doesn't want to be photographed but you do it anyway, while admiting that you should have probably taken it behind his back. Knowing that you then post it online in a public forum for the whole world to see.

Nice one.

I know, I should have captured the photo from the back. I was shooting horses in a farm across the road and then suddenly the horse and buggy came rushing down the road. It was hard to let him go by without a photo.

No, it's not really hard at all. Just don't press that little shutter thingy.

I live about 30 miles from the heart of Pa Amish country and go there on a regular basis. I routinely pass up beautiful photo's of the Amish at work and play... out of something called respect.

Ya know, I actually saw a tourist attempting to pose two young Amish children on a bench. When their father saw what was happening he was visibly upset, but never said a word to the tourist.

I have the utmost respect for these people

Last edited:
I'm sure he won't see it ... so there you go! I'm from that area near Lancaster and so do I. I just don't think its as horrible as you guys apparently do. They live in a modern world ~ they come into our world~ Have you ever taken a photo of a homeless person or an old person who didn't know you were shooting a photo. I just don't see it like you do.

Last edited:
My ancestors were no doubt Amish.. perhaps thats why it interests me.

Everyone takes pictures of things that interest them, isn't that part of why we all are into photography? You see a great image to capture, and you capture it...she is clearly interested in the Amish. You're telling me that if you saw an Amish carriage coming down the road while you had your camera in hand, you would just wave?

This is COMPLETELY different. It's a religous belief for them. Their religion does not permit graven images. Even the little girls dolls can not have the likeness of a face

You ever see the show Amish Mafia?

First things first: I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked, “Isn’t taking photographs of the Amish against their religion?” Answer: NO, it’s not against an Amish person’s religion to be photographed. The Amish religion does, however, prohibit POSING for photographs. If you ask an Amish person for permission to take their picture, they will politely say no – as this could be construed as a willingness to “pose.” Most of my Amish friends say that they could care less if people take their picture . . . provided the photographers are respectful. Many have recounted stories of tourists driving up their driveway and boldly walking onto their front lawn to take a photograph. One woman recalled a time when a tourist stopped her buggy and held the reigns of the horse until his wife could get a photo! Horror stories like these aren’t the norm, but keep in mind that a few disrespectful photographers can generate a great deal of bad feeling within the Amish community.
Traveling through Amish country can be a rewarding an enjoyable experience – especially when you bring back great photographs to share with family and friends. This piece is designed to help you take better photos in Amish country while still respecting the culture and traditions of the Amish.

take from a web site geared towards photographing the Amish

Everyone takes pictures of things that interest them, isn't that part of why we all are into photography? You see a great image to capture, and you capture it...she is clearly interested in the Amish. You're telling me that if you saw an Amish carriage coming down the road while you had your camera in hand, you would just wave?

Are you for real?! No, I would totally disrespect them because I WANTED a picture.

Last edited:
Oh, well, in this shot the driver is hardly recognizable.

Now the shot: You have cropped this to within an inch of its life. While the horse is nicely centered, the buggy is not, and you have included quite a bit of countryside that does not add to the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back