What's new

Amish boy caught me by surprise C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. I just wanted advice.. not to be crucified for taking a single photograph. Apparently everyone has a right to his or her ideas where this is concerned. I wasn't following this person around ~ it just happened as I was photograph a horse across the street and this buggy came by. I didn't ask him to stop.. I was IN the car .. I didn't follow him home. I snapped a photo that came into my view while shooting the horses. I wasn't trying to do harm. I don't feel I did. Everyone has their right to what they feel and so do I. If you google Amish photography there are tons of different ideas.
 
If you google AMISH...you will see hundreds of photographs of the Amish, there sure are a lot of disrespectful photographers...


Everyone takes pictures of things that interest them, isn't that part of why we all are into photography? You see a great image to capture, and you capture it...she is clearly interested in the Amish. You're telling me that if you saw an Amish carriage coming down the road while you had your camera in hand, you would just wave?

Are you for real?! No, I would totally disrespect them because i WANTED a picture.
 
Last edited:
Don't believe everything you see or read... I spent a week with an Amish family in Kalona Iowa in the late 1960's doing a story...I was able to take photos of their buggies, farms ...just not their people. I have a great respect for them and even though I do not subscribe to their strict beliefs I respect them.
 
When I saw that post title I thought maybe you had taken a photo of an Amish boy with modern technology, like an iPod or something...
 
When I saw that post title I thought maybe you had taken a photo of an Amish boy with modern technology, like an iPod or something...

I meant I was taking a photo of something else, while sitting in my car, and this boy came galloping by. I didn't crop it or anything. I just shot the photo. I actually liked the horse and the frozen whiskers. There was a farm across the road I was taking photos of. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful of this young boy. He came into my line of photographing the horses.

I didn't think it was horrible posting it. Apparently some have stronger opinions than I do. With all the Breaking AMish, Amish Mafia, and other Amish programs I didn't think I was committing such a mortal sin against their religion. iyiyiyiyiyi He probably never even saw me.
 
The second commandment (Exodus 20:4) "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth below, or that is in the water under the earth."

Huh? Apparently someone forgot the "unless they are not posed" clause

BTW, I'm out of this thread
 
The second commandment (Exodus 20:4) "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth below, or that is in the water under the earth."

Huh? Apparently someone forgot the "unless they are not posed" clause

BTW, I'm out of this thread

Rick you need to lighten up.... quit looking at the photo if it bothers you to this extreme. You aren't going to change my idea on a shot I took while shooting horses across the road.
 
Everyone has their own right to religion....pushing the commandments on someone who you have no idea what their religion is, or if they even believe in the bible....
We all have a rights to our own beliefs.....

The guy probably didn't even know she was taking a picture....and i'm sure that neither he nor his family are memebers of this forum and will probably never know this image exists...

The second commandment (Exodus 20:4) "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth below, or that is in the water under the earth."

Huh? Apparently someone forgot the "unless they are not posed" clause
 
I'm sure he won't see it ... so there you go! I'm from that area near Lancaster and so do I. I just don't think its as horrible as you guys apparently do. They live in a modern world ~ they come into our world~ Have you ever taken a photo of a homeless person or an old person who didn't know you were shooting a photo. I just don't see it like you do.

In a word no. And you asked for our thoughts, I gave you mine. At best you've been insensitive, I'd say its damn right rude considering you seem to be well aware of the issues no matter how you want to justify it to yourself. If you don't want different views don't ask for it.
 
I believe we all ask for everyone's thoughts on this forum, technically.....not what you believe is rude or what you believe religiously...If you are so against the matter, why would you read the thread? If you were against or not interested in nude photography, would you click on a thread that's titled "Penis"?


I'm sure he won't see it ... so there you go! I'm from that area near Lancaster and so do I. I just don't think its as horrible as you guys apparently do. They live in a modern world ~ they come into our world~ Have you ever taken a photo of a homeless person or an old person who didn't know you were shooting a photo. I just don't see it like you do.

In a word no. And you asked for our thoughts, I gave you mine. At best you've been insensitive, I'd say its damn right rude considering you seem to be well aware of the issues no matter how you want to justify it to yourself. If you don't want different views don't ask for it.
 
I didn't think it was rude. Apparently you do. Thanks for your comment. I was in Edinburgh recently and had anyone seen this buggy coming down the road I'd be safe to bet more than 1/2 would have taken a photo of them. I didn't feel I was being rude. I feel differently about it than you.
 
This is my Great-Great Grandmother when she left her Amish family and married a jeweler in Baltimore. Although we have lost touch with our Amish relatives I'm sure there are still blood relatives in Lancaster Co. The Amish today in Lancaster Co will not pose, will turn away from cameras themselves but welcome you to photograph their wares, buildings, etc... within reason. If you take a photo, they won't go chasing after you. They just do not have any "en graven images" of themselves in their homes. Some secs of Mennonites in Lancaster Co. have electricity, freezers and refrigerators in their barn. Because the barn is not their home. My rule of thumb, use a telephoto lens and try not to get faces. LLD's snap shot was not planned. Relax. The Amish are not as UN-approachable as you think. I have given many an Amish teen a ride in our car from time to time.

$Atkinson012.webp
 
This is my Great-Great Grandmother when she left her Amish family and married a jeweler in Baltimore. Although we have lost touch with our Amish relatives I'm sure there are still blood relatives in Lancaster Co. The Amish today in Lancaster Co will not pose, will turn away from cameras themselves but welcome you to photograph their wares, buildings, etc... within reason. If you take a photo, they won't go chasing after you. They just do not have any "en graven images" of themselves in their homes. Some secs of Mennonites in Lancaster Co. have electricity, freezers and refrigerators in their barn. Because the barn is not their home. My rule of thumb, use a telephoto lens and try not to get faces. LLD's snap shot was not planned. Relax. The Amish are not as UN-approachable as you think. I have given many an Amish teen a ride in our car from time to time.

View attachment 33865

Thank you. She's just beautiful and I'd say you value this photo. Thank you for posting it.
 
Thanks for bringing some sanity to this thread CC. Neat old family portrait! Check out her waistline!!! And you know that was before Photoshop!!!!
 
weepete said:
In a word no. And you asked for our thoughts, I gave you mine. At best you've been insensitive, I'd say its damn right rude considering you seem to be well aware of the issues no matter how you want to justify it to yourself. If you don't want different views don't ask for it.

Your high and mighty attitude does not necessarily make you a better person. FYI.

You also argue that war and conflict photographers are incredibly rude, but at the same time it's kind of inevitable. "My heavens! You are soooo rude. For shame!"

I can understand the respect of it all, but arguing about what is and isn't rude on an online forum is kind of pointless, because getting all offended by this photo/attitude is TOTALLY going to make the photo go away, right?

It doesn't help anyone. The "it's really rude, *******" argument can be applied to so many areas of photography such as PJ and street photography that it's kind of lost its meaning. I guess being a bad person is just part of being a photographer...

Just giving my opinion, of course.

Now can we please discuss the photo and stop talking about who has the better set of ethics. We already know who lives by the WWJD code, so let's move it along.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom