An Abstract Walk in the Woods.

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went for a hike in the canyon behind my house. I thought there was nothing there left to take a picture of, so I didn't bother to bring my tripod. It was cold and kinda dark. I didn't want to do the same thing I've done so many times, so I decided to see if I could see the forest differently.

This was an experiment for me. I've seen people do wonderful work with hand-held long exposure shots.

Feel free to comment/critique. I'm definitely going to try this again.

Desi

1. Slow

DSC_0598.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

2. Shake

DSC_0575.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

3. Zoom

DSC_0579.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

4. Paint (I caught the orange glow of the setting sun on a hillside above these shaded trees)

DSC_0645.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

5. Spin

DSC_0621.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

And then....back to reality.

6. Last light

DSC_0656.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

7. LA Sunset

DSC_0655.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

I agree with Drex - the first three are very impressionistic. The first two work best for me.

Thanks Drex and KenC......I thought I was missing something (my schooling is obviously wearing off). Glad you liked the shots.

Nice Desi! Great set, I like 1, 2,4, 6 and 7.

#3 and 5 are more personal taste, the zoom and spin don't twirl my beanie in general but I do continue to seek a subject that they work amazingly on because I'm sure there are some! When I do shoot zooming and spinning shots I tend to frame them pretty wide so I have leeway to move the center out of center.

I caution you, this is addictive, there, you have been warned!
Can't wait to see what you come up with next ;)

I'm really liking 2 & 4 of your abstract shots. Nice work.

But my favorite of the bunch is definitely 6. That is a fantastic shot. Well done

#3 and 5 are more personal taste, the zoom and spin don't twirl my beanie in general but I do continue to seek a subject that they work amazingly on because I'm sure there are some! When I do shoot zooming and spinning shots I tend to frame them pretty wide so I have leeway to move the center out of center.

Twirl my beanie will now be absorbed into my everyday vocabulary. Thank you.

Thanks everyone.

PixelRabbit is right, this seems like it can get addictive. I almost didn't take the camera since I thought there was nothing left to shoot in those woods, but this opens up an entirely new way of looking at the forest.

I'll try to get a shot that twirls your beanie, Pixel

Desi.

I would like to know what is the beanie? I like 6....

Twirl my beanie will now be absorbed into my everyday vocabulary. Thank you.

It wasn't there already?? Huh. Well, your life is now enriched... :D

I would like to know what is the beanie? I like 6....

A beanie is a hat, a cap--often, with a goofy little propeller on top of it, like this. So "twirl my beanie" was something that makes your propeller spin--that is, makes you happy.

EDIT: Oh, and I agree with Drex. Most of these are more impressionistic than abstract. I LOVE #4, which IS an abstract, though!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back