An explanation by way of apology.

Hertz van Rental

We're supposed to post photos?
Reaction score
I don't, as a rule, open myself up to anyone. I think it bad manners and people have their own problems.
But a number of very nice people have been in contact with me - as well as some others commenting on the Board. Some of the things said have made me think.
So OK my behaviour was uncharacteristic.
It was a little petulant but I have been rather prickly recently and I am finding myself lacking patience with people who are childish and petty - you know, the ones who think that God has it in for them because they broke a nail.
Why am I being grumpy, moody, easily irritated, lacking in tolerance?
I gave up teaching last Summer. Fed up of the paperwork and politics.
The job I've been doing since is delivering and installing medical equipment for people. It's part of our NHS. I take people everything from walking sticks to special toilets to Hospital beds.
Some of the people I deliver to are recovering from operations or accidents.
Some are just old.
Some are just dying and want to do it at home.
I'm meeting a lot of very nice, very ordinary people whom fate has decided to single out for special treatment.
Let me give you some examples:
I met a very nice lady the other day. Younger than me and she used to be a teacher. Whilst I installed the various things we talked. She told me she had a degenerative nervous disease. She is slowly going to loose the use of her hands, legs... She is also going to go blind. She knows this. We stood in her garden in the rain and looked at the flowers...
Or the lady who went in to Hospital because of a bad back and was told she had cancer with six months...
Or the man with the paraplegic 8 year old. He had had his back broken by a considerate soul who drove into him on the pavement. Then the mortgage company repossesed his house because he didn't have a job...
I see lots worse. When it's a child I really get upset.
And then I have to go and collect the equipment when it isn't needed anymore. It's nice when it's because they have got better. But I see a lot of raw grief too.
It's making me a little touchy. And I'm over-reacting now and again.
So if my sudden decision to leave upset any of you then I truly am sorry. Please understand.

And for those of you who celebrated my leaving - good news. I've decided to come back.
The past week or so has made me realise just how much I need this place (and all of you) to keep sane and to stop me thinking morbid thoughts. Some of you have let me know that you need me too. Thank you.
But there might be times when I don't post much or I'm not very funny. Pictures might be thin on the ground too. I know what I want to photograph and I can't. But I wish I could.
I might also be a bit short now and then - I'll try not to be. Just tell me if I am. I'll say sorry.

I don't want anyone to post comments in this thread. There is no need. Just read it and think about other people now and then.

I will leave you with the words of a lovely 92 year old. They have been much on my mind of late:
When I was younger I never thought I'd end up like this.

It's how we live our lives that is important. And letting others know they are not alone on the journey.

I know I have'nt been around for to long, but I always look forward to the knowledge you bring. And was wondering what the heck happened.

So it's good to see you back.

And I do understand some of where your coming from lately. My wife manages a doctors office that specializes in internal medicine(the aged) and probably a week doesn't go by where she tells me about Mr. or Mrs. either passing or the problems their going through. It's a shame most times.

And I am an instructor at a college, so we could definitly talk politics. :wink:

[font=&quot]Good to have you back. I understand what your taking about, most of the time people do not understand how good they have it. [/font]

I think we all have moments in our life that help us see clearly what we need. Welcome back.

Well, as usual, I missed the drama completely. I noticed you weren't around, Hertz, but I just assumed you were on vacation. Good to have you back; everyone needs a break here and there. It's easy to get bent communicating only through forum monologues. Whenever someone ticks me off I try to imagine having the conversation with them in person. It's always much mellower than comes across in posts. I do think you should post more pics. It's okay if they aren't perfect. That's why we're all here, right?

Welcome back! :cheer:

This is what it is...an internet forum. People come, people go. People give, people take. Feelings are hurt, emotions are shared. And venting, lots of venting.

Take from it what you will, share when you can. We're fortunate to have you around here.

Hey dude! I missed the drama as well, but I am peachy as hell that you realized how important this freakshow is and yer gonna hang around a bit longer. I havent been around lately myself...REAL BIZZ-A at the library, term is ending next week...but I find my rear thinking of everyone here very often...yes ladies you know who you are :mrgreen:!! I'm just happy that when I feel the need for soem good company I can always turn to TPF!

I also see how having to see alot of folks misery can change your point of view of certain aspects of life for an example ...death...wait you told us to not post didn't you ....damn it! sorry.

im glad you are here hertz, i never wanted to see you go in the first place :)

mygrain!! whats up chump!!!!

md

hey Matty!! not crap but lots of work and ummm more work. Have i missed anything...err...obviously something ^^^ but any folks running naked through here or rabid lemur attacks. It is that time of the year ya know.

i think mentos and i are planning a TPF streaking party, other than that its business as usuall in the ole' TPF.

md

Only Alison and Hobbes are having a baby - early next year?
And yes, MD proposed to Mentos HERE, on this very board! That's all..... Peanuts.

HUH!!! THE first TPF couple is having the first TPF BABY!?!?! serious!?! HOLY COW!! That rocks. CONGRATS U TWO!!!! Is Chase making you guys name it after him?

And MD and Mentos!?! Boy, he makes the rounds. TOM CAT!!!! :hail: :hail:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back