An idea for TPF that I would need all of your help with!

I went over to http://www.wikimatrix.org/ and compared the 21 Wiki packages they have listed. Great site for things like this by the way. All hail Google for finding it for me! :hail:

Using the matrix I went though the huge list if features and started weeding out wikis that did not have features I would like to find in a wiki for this purpose and came down to 4 choices.

http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/MediaWiki+PhpWiki+TikiWiki+TWiki

Of the 4, MediaWiki is in the fence since it does not handle file attachments. What I am not clear on is wether those file attachments are embedded pics or just an external attachment. If it is not able to handle embedded pics then it wont work obviously.

I would be interested in what other with experience with wikis think of the choices offered. My experience is limited as a user and contributor.

I also wanted to add a thanks to Chase for asking us to help him bring TPF to the next level. We have a great group of people here I think and adding content will help more people realize that :)

I don't really rate Wikis. It leads to diluted and unmoderated rambling content which is frequently technically inadequate, or just plain wrong.

I believe that TPF members are more than capable of working on a small passage which could be refined by others, but that an open model such as Wiki would just be incomplete and confusing.

If someone who is well versed in photography teaching would care to sketch a skeleton framework, then I'm sure there are plenty of volunteers to add meat to the bones (as it were). Deciding the format is a technicality - perhaps a Wiki style interlinked format would work well, but only when the information has already been prepared, not as an organic growth exercise.

Anyone understand me, (or even agree!)??

Rob

Chase, let me know what I can do...

Chase, I am happy to help in any way I can...maybe a tutorial on how to take tilted shots--I seem to excel at that :lmao:

Seriously, I can't write anything because I don't know much about photography, but I'm a good writer and able editor.

Just let me know.

I'm still sort of evaluating the new home page option we're leaning towards, and I will need to launch that before things start really happening with this.

What we do need is to put together a table of contents that covers the information we'd like to include. I tossed together a basic outline a while back that I will try to hunt down again, but please feel free to start collaborating on the info as well. We could easily start working on content before I have the page in place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back