an ND filter for my Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 ?

Havok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone

So I recently tried out a variable ND2-ND400 filter from a friend that fits my 77mm thread sized Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 lens, and it seems to not work properly and cause "X" in the middle of the image.

does anyone have any ideas on what kind of ND filter I should get?

Thanks!

Did you try out a round filter? I have a set of rectangular filters that have different sized rings with attachable brackets to fit the filters through so they can be used for multiple lens sizes. They are not top shelf filters but I have not had any issues using them with the 11-16.

If you are getting an "X", you've dialed it down too far. Back it away from the darkest setting and the X should disappear. If not, it's über-cheap or defective.

Did you try out a round filter? I have a set of rectangular filters that have different sized rings with attachable brackets to fit the filters through so they can be used for multiple lens sizes. They are not top shelf filters but I have not had any issues using them with the 11-16.

yeah I used the variable circular ND filter

If you are getting an "X", you've dialed it down too far. Back it away from the darkest setting and the X should disappear. If not, it's über-cheap or defective.

Its a Marumi 77mm Variable ND filter ND2-ND400, dunno if its cheap or not. but I'm sure its not defective because my friend used it on his canon 24-70 F/4 L and it worked like a charm

Its a Marumi 77mm Variable ND filter ND2-ND400, dunno if its cheap or not. but I'm sure its not defective because my friend used it on his canon 24-70 F/4 L and it worked like a charm

Does it X-out on his outfit at the same setting, with the cameras aimed at the same scene and under identical lighting?

Ultra wide lenses do not lend themselves well to filters due to the wide field of view. It is common to have vignetting and other issues when using circular polarizers and some ND filters. For that wide of lens you might want to look at something in the Lee square/rectangular line and go with a SW 150 size. It will be wide but that is what they are made for. Keep in mind that Lee makes a top quality product and they do ask a top quality price. This is an excellent article on ND filters.
The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters by Peter Hill

Does it X-out on his outfit at the same setting, with the cameras aimed at the same scene and under identical lighting?

well, it was slightly brighter but yeah we tested it on the same thing

What f stop? To small of aperture can case artifacts to appear in the center are of the photo.

Post one of the images with the issue. It would help to see the problem.

Post one of the images with the issue. It would help to see the problem.

here
IMG_6089.JPG

If it's not what Sparky suggested, was the lens hood on? Never seen something quite like that before.

I don't know anything about that brand of filter. I did happen to find this in a review of that filter however.

"Works fine until you get to about the 2/3 mark in the range sweep when dark streaks become evident, and from the last stop to the MAX setting in the sweep range the dark streaks are so bad that it becomes impossible to use."

Interesting problem. I did a little research and one of the comment I saw more than once was Vari nd filters will not work properly with focal lengths below 35mm. You will get the dreaded "x" vignetting.

I have never owned a variable ND filter, but it is interesting to see others stating what appears to be the issue.

That's the worst case of VND Xing out I've ever seen.

Are you stacking a polarizer with the VND on the lens?

If you're dialing the filter down to the absolute darkest, that's your problem. They all do that. Just some are better than others. Some start Xing at 6 stops, some at 7 or 8, and some high $ VND won't exhibit any Xing until 9 or 10 stops.

Most reactions

Back