and I need some help with a set portrait

I really like the idea but like others have mentioned I think I'd change up the composition. Maybe let the subject pose on the couch however they want to and take shots from different angles. So in the end you'd have pics of just people on the couch but some would be laying, sitting, laying upside-down, etc. Just my .02

You'll have to shoot when the sun is overhead then, to take full advantage of it.

The skin tone looks yellow to me, and also you can see that the wall is not white.

It will be around 2 months before we get overhead sun in there.

Yep I can see that colour in the wall.

Is your picture ok to be edited?

Is your picture ok to be edited?

yes parago help your self, I'm here to learn

And Matt, I'm Uk based but the sun runs very low in the sky at the moment and this conservatory is on the back of the house, so it will need to get much higher before it comes out of the shadow

yes parago help your self, I'm here to learn

And Matt, I'm Uk based but the sun runs very low in the sky at the moment and this conservatory is on the back of the house, so it will need to get much higher before it comes out of the shadow

I had actually edited it in PS and then my PC froze, naturally without me having a chance to save it. Dammit. Anyways, what I did was transform the background into a darker one, almost black, I had worked on the over-exposure and took some saturation out and it looked real cool. I would definitely think about a darker backdrop. I love the couch btw and even tho stuff like that might have been done before - I'd say go for it.

Take some more pics with the girl in the pic, she's very fotogenic I think, adjust your flash some and see what happens. I'm sure you can get very decent shots out of this setting. :sexywink:

This is the sentence that made me think you might be planning for more than just putting family members onto the sofa for their photos to be taken...
Sorry if I got it wrong. I never ever mean to be arsey to ANYBODY on this forum.
You were upset you had 50 views and no reply and I wanted to give you one.
One that would express my thoughts, most of which were genuine questions.
But your apology's accepted, how could I not?

We once had a (much missed by many, including me) member on here called Hertz van Rental who started a series of "People and their Sofas" (it should still be in the Photo Themes somewhere) --- back when he still did professional photography and teaching, he took very many photos of the kind, of celebrities and all.

So yes, a sofa as co-subject to the people shots you plan to take is a good idea. The white wall could even be of help to keep your photos as simple as possible, with as much focus on the people as can be.

Right now, in THIS one, the flash is too strong, yes.
All the whites almost glare.
You'd have to work on that.

And are you asking for help on THIS very photo or for help on the set-up and photos that you plan to take in the future, then? (Not necessarily to sell... as I now understand, too).

Have you ever read any of your posts?

Have you ever read any of your posts?
First post in TPF is to take a shot at a moderator? Sorry, but that makes you come off as a troll. :thumbdown:

People, let's keep this thread on topic. Lafoto and the OP have already smoothed things over.

Carry on!

Hair Bear
I have not read every post here but this is my 2 cents. Your colors are way off and seem to be way over exposed. The photo seem too busy crop crop crop.

the most important thing about a shot is light, so if the lights not there, move somewhere else.

Hi Hair Bear,

You should start with the basics. Knowlege is power--Google rules!
Start your quest for photography greatness by googling a few of these terms:
1. Portrait Posing
2. Portrait Lighting
3. Rule of Thirds
4. Composition.
5. Rembrandt Lighting
6. Broad Lighting
7. Short lighting
8. Butterfly or Paramount lighting.

The difference between a snapshot and a portrait is more than correct exposure. An accomplished photographer can easily recognize standards that have been applied to any pro portrait. When shooting people portraits, the composition is just as importaint as when shooting landscapes.

You should Reshoot this sitting and keep the limbs (legs and arms) in the same plane as the rest of the body/s. You can collect many interresting ideas about proper posing from your exploration in Google. Your subjects are currently posed in the "quaterback/linebacker pose" where the shoulders are square to the camera--that's usually a no-no pose. In your current shot, the Lens focal length and position of legs combine to make the feet, legs, knees, and thighs appear disproportionate (sort of like a cartoon caracature). Exclude the limbs or keep them within the same plane as the torsos

105 mm is a good place to start for a focal length setting that will preserve the proportion of facial features.

In your google explorations, you can learn how to use camera angle and light to flatter a particular shape of face. There are certain camera angles as well as different positions of lighting that can be used to widen a narrow face, or make a wide face narrow.

Lots to search and read there, thank you and also thanks for spotting my quest for photography greatness!

I like your observation regarding snap shots and accomplished photographer, this shot failing into the snap shot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back