And I thought photography was expensive!

Owning a boat.....

Break
Out
Another
T​housand
The two happiest days in a boat owners life are the day he buys it, and the day he sells it.

Car racing and boats are just money pits. My well to do friend has a rally car and each rally is roughly $6k. 2k to enter, 1500 for tires, 1k for travel and gas 1.5k for crew. This is if nothing major breaks.
And, I suspect he is racing as a amateur and is self sponsored.

And, I suspect he is racing as a amateur and is self sponsored.

Has a few minor sponsors that hardly pay for road snacks. Actually does well in the rallies he can afford to go to. Got a photo of them in my gallery.

My wife tells me all the time that my hobby's are expensive. Guitars, Mandolins, Photography, Jeeps (just empty every pocket).

But I say if it ain't expensive, it ain't worth it. lol

My wife tells me all the time that my hobby's are expensive. Guitars, Mandolins, Photography, Jeeps (just empty every pocket).

aren't wives expensive ?

aren't wives expensive ?

A fact that should be noted but never expressed to her. (Well if you want to keep her, lol)

Cycling (mountain bikes) are my other poison, It's not hard to spend $5k on a bike, a grand or so on kit (helmets, gloves etc) and then upgrade every year! At least with photography I don't upgrade as often:)

Owning a boat.....
Seeing your avatar you know how this it.
Cycling (mountain bikes) are my other poison, It's not hard to spend $5k on a bike, a grand or so on kit (helmets, gloves etc) and then upgrade every year! At least with photography I don't upgrade as often:)
That's similar to racing dirt bikes:

$7,000 for the dirt bike (a lot of the guys have more than one)
$2-3,000 in gear (depending on the level of quality/protection you want)
$300 per weekend in entry/race fees, food, travel
$200-1,000 a month in maintenance/parts
$5,000 - $300,000 RV/Motorhome, depends on how loaded you are
The biggest cost though can be medical bills (or your life), especially when you don't have good health insurance. Personally my insurance company has paid into the 6 figures on me from over the years. Which is why my insurance premium is more than my mortgage payment. lol

Have a buddy that drives his 6 figure motorhome from Canada to the US, pretty much every weekend, so that his kids can race. He told me that last year he spent ~$18,000 in fuel costs alone.

I'm with Sashbar. High-end audio puts photography to shame.

The shame rests with those who sell $10,000 audio connecting cables to zealots who think they hear minute "improvements" in the sound the $10,000 cables provide, as opposed to the sound they were getting from their $1,500 audio connecting cables.

Well call me a troglodyte, but I went digital in audio. The "cable" costs about $20 for a 50-ft. spool.

Well call me a troglodyte, but I went digital in audio. The "cable" costs about $20 for a 50-ft. spool.

Aww,pish-posh, that stuff's rubbish! Every audiophile nutjob KNOWS one needs the $500 per foot stuff, at a bare MINIMUM!!!!

And speaking of expensive hobbies, there's;

owning horses (any horse)

skiing (envision trips, hotels, gear, etc.)

coin collecting

woodworking

travel

and the point being, that practically any hobby can become quite expensive if you allow it.

The shame rests with those who sell $10,000 audio connecting cables to zealots who think they hear minute "improvements" in the sound the $10,000 cables provide, as opposed to the sound they were getting from their $1,500 audio connecting cables.

The hi-fi audio market is really quite disgusting. Blind tests have shown that the average person (without trained ears) can't hear a damn thing between a coat hanger and and a $1000 cable. I guess that is one benefit of the pro side of it...a lot less of that. A good pro cable is good because it's more durable or has better shielding, not because it was blessed by the rabbi of sound quality before it left the building (for the most part, at least...).

Hell, even trained engineers who are paid to listen to minute differences in sound can barely hear a difference, if at all between many types of cables.

Derren, do not start it. Or I will say that you think you see the difference between a $200 and a $2000 lense :D

Just because it's not there doesn't mean you can't hear it. The $500 cables may not improve the audio quality in any measurable way, but the create $500 worth of joy in the owner.

It's not like photographers don't have the same quirks. Just because you can see it doesn't mean it's actually there. I shan't name names, since they're all sacred cows. Suffice it to say many of us can name several things that crazy people imagine they see, while simultaneously clinging to the perverse notion that of course THAT OTHER THING is TOTALLY OBVIOUSLY BETTER.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back