Another Afternoon at the Beach

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Afternoon off work, kids away.....off I go to the beach. Heavy winds predicted for the LA area, so I was the only person there. Such a beatiful place to be alone (and such a rare thing in LA). By 10 PM the winds did arrive. There are downed trees all around my house and no power since last night. I had just uploaded these images to flickr when the power went out.

Hope you enjoy. C&C always welcome.

I'm never sure what a good exposure is when doing night/evening shots. I'm using a hoya 9 stop ND filter on some of these.

These were taken at Leo Carrillo State Beach north of Malibu.

DSC_0705.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_0674.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_0671.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_0691.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

DSC_0709.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

Edited: I pasted wrong images earlier. Hope I got it right this time.

Last edited:
You are so lucky to be where you are at on the planet!

Is all the haze what is known as Smog? lol

Sorry, couldn't resist.

They all seem to be off in color, in my very limited opinion.

True, the ND seems to change the color a bit, though it isn't supposed to. See #2 and #3, taken in succession, one with and one without the filter. The images with the filter seem more greenish to me. I'm not sure what to do about it. Probably my exposure settings are wrong. I didn't mess with color in post, just exposure levels. This was my second time using that filter. I'll have to go back and try again.

Now that the power is back on at the house: One more from this set (2 second exposure without the ND filter):

DSC_0656-2.jpg by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

Per GrantH's comment: I looked over the pics. Colors are different on all shots. I figure part of this is because the light was changing rapidly as sunset came and went and i was shooting towards the setting sun in some and away from it in others. My white balance setting was on "cloudy day" in the initial shots (not corrected). On this last shot I corrected it to "daylight" which seemed to take off the greenish hue. I must admit to not fully understanding white balance and not "seeing it" very well when I view a photo.

Any thoughts on the colors or white balance or overall exposure levels? The camera's light meter doesn't give a good reading with the 9 stop filter on.

Haze? yep.

GeorgieGirl: so true. But, coming from the San Francisco bay area, it took me 10 years to be able to even admit that I lived in LA.

Very nice shots...

So is that a layer of fog above the water or just a long exposure effect that I'm seeing?

Very nice shots...

So is that a layer of fog above the water or just a long exposure effect that I'm seeing?

Thanks. Long exposures. 30 seconds on the "foggy" ones.

Very nice photos.

The colors are different in each photo, some are cold and some are much warmer. Was this the result for your ND filter? Have you tried adjusting the colors in PP?

Very nice photos.

The colors are different in each photo, some are cold and some are much warmer. Was this the result for your ND filter? Have you tried adjusting the colors in PP?

For #2: 30 seconds at f11, ND filter in place, cloudy day, iso 100

For #3: 1/6th second, f22, no filter, cloudy day, ISO 200

2 minutes between the 2 photos

Most reactions

New Topics

Back