Another bag question!

USCGamecock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

Yes! It is another bag question! Sorry! I did a search but could not find what I was looking for. So, here's what I would like! I'm head off to USC next year and would love to get a backpack that can hold all my books that I would need and other goodies but also my camera and MAYBE one other lens. I have a D40 just FYI. I do not know if something like this exists but would love if it did. I have looked at the backpack at lowepro for example, but I don't know if they are big enough for books and things. I'm not worried about if the bag is really big or anything as long as it can meet my requests. Price is another non-worry. Anyways, thanks guys! :mrgreen:

You are probably better off getting a big 'book bag' and then using a smaller camera bag that will fit into it...or you could make your own camera compartment in the bigger bag.

Ok, I think Big Mike may be right, from what else i could scavenge from here and the big I. What kind of bag would you recommend me then? All I have is the D40 kit, but I just got it a week ago. (Give me time) :p I would like to get something like the 55-200mmVR lense and the 50 mm 1.8 in the future. Plus a flash as well. Do you think there is a bag that could hold all that and then fit into a backpack? I know I need a new backpack as well, but I would like one that could hold all my books and the camera bag that meets my requirements. I also like to hike so Im thinking something like a North Face backpack or something.

Bags and backpacks are definitely not my field though so ANY help would be much appreciated! Thanks chaps! :)

Any camera store (and many electronic stores) should have a decent selection of smaller camera bags. It shouldn't be too hard to find one that will hold your camera gear. As for fitting that into a backpack...that's up to you. I have a Lowepro 'top load' type bag that will hold a camera+lens and fits easily into any other bag. It might not fit a 2nd lens & flash but you could find another option for those, if you went with a small bag like that.

Or, like I mentioned before, you could get some foam and try to create a camera section in your backpack, without buying a separate bag.

Ok, thanks. Any normal backpack recommendations? I've always gone with a Jansport or some such but they only last a year or so. I would like a really nice backpack that will last me awhile as well as on hikes and such.

I don't have much experience with hiking backpacks. I can easily recommend Lowe (I think it's Lowe-Alpine) because they are the same manufacturers of Lowepro...and I have several Lowepro bags and I love them.

Really, the best thing to do, would be to go to a good store and get some help from someone with experience. For serious hiking, you want the proper bag for your needs. My employer also owns a Camping store and they have a huge selection of many backpacks.
For a school/book bag...I'm not sure what would be best.

So I was just looking at the Customary Barge from Crumpler. It looked like it was what I was looking for, has room for a camera and a lens or so, but I couldn't tell if the storage compartment was big enough for college student books. Its about a one hour drive to a store that sells crumpler bags and even then who knows if they have this one in stock.

Does anybody have in person experience with a customary barge? If so, could you make a guess and let me know if you think it is big enough for day to day use for a college student? I would REALLY appreciate it and it is definitely getting down to the wire of when I'm going to just say F it and buy a random backpack. :( It would be really convenient to have an all in one solution. Also, I don't have a laptop, so I could use that as storage as well. Thanks so much to whoever can answer my endless questions! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back