another first critique

jimi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i'm not real sure about this one but there is something about it i kind of like, anyway lay it on me.

IMG_0300_w.jpg

it's a little bobble hula girl thing on the front of a friends bike.

I dig it. I wish the DOF was a little larger so it looked like she was hitchhiking.

I like the shallow DOF, it makes the girl stand out. I don't like that light or whatever that is right behind her.

heh, thanks guys. sorry for the cheesy subject but i was just curious on peoples opinions. i don't know any people who will really give me any opinions on any of my pics so i don't even know if i'm on the right track or not. i will try to find a different pic with a more interesting subject or something.

I like the subject and think you have a great idea here. It's got style.

I'd like to see a whole series of photo with the hula girl in the foreground and different out of focus backgrounds.

At first, the light of the bike in the background got in the way a bit, only when I read that this little hula girl is on the front of a friend's bike did I think "OK, so he's hinting at that with the bike lamp". If, however, you meant to let us "see" where the hula girl "belongs" (is situated), I'd have liked to see a bit more of the bike, too.
The photo, as it is, features the doll, and very well does so by putting just her into focus and all the background clearly out of focus. Work on DOF is brilliant in this one, light (setting sun? Long shadows!) too - I'm not so much for this frame and find the photo is leaning too much to the right...

But who am I to critique others...!??!?

I think this was a pretty good Pshop extraction. I think a gradient blur would have been better than the global blur. I don't think the bike light is actually in the background-just gausean blurred. probably would be a better photo if the light was cropped out completely.

I say don't give up on the hula girl! Keep playing with this and see what you come up with. That's a bike, huh? I sort of see it but I can't figure out the scale of hula girl to bike, if it is. Let's see some more!

thanks everyone, this is the kind of stuff i was hoping to hear. as for the questions, the girl is only about 4 inches tall. it was late evening when i took it. there is no photoshop in this image at all. i'm a graphic designer by trade so i try to keep my photography away from ps as much as possible. (aside from levels) just my personal preference.

i'll keep playing with this taking into account your suggestions. thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back