Another from the White Wave for C&C

LittleMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to look through the pictures from my trip to the White Wave several weeks ago (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...oto-gallery/244978-ever-heard-white-wave.html), and found another shot I had forgotten about. This was taken facing almost due-North, and has made me decide I want to get up there in the next few months to do a long-exposure star streak to compliment the swirling rocks underneath.

IMG_3234small.jpg

Canon 5DmkII w/24-105L
f/16
1/500 sec
ISO 200

I also decided to try a B&W conversion, but I don't think it packs as much punch as the color.

IMG_3234smallBW-1.jpg

C&C Please.

LittleMike, I went and looked at your reference "Ever heard of the White Wave" and I must say those images are neat...this new one adds to my interest in seeing this area...I may not get there, being an inhabitant of the Great White North, but I will definitely file it away. I am not sure that the B&W conversion works as well as the colour image, at least for me. There is very little in the conversion that is black and white, leaving everything as shades of gray. This gives you very little tonal range and thus very little contrast which, from my perpsective, is the goal of B&W conversion. My 0.02¢ FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I agree about the conversion needing a little more contrast. If you're working in PS, try tweaking the color sliders during conversion to bring out what you want. For example, use the blue slider to darken the sky, and the red/yellow to lighten those orange streaks.

Most reactions

Back