Another hopefully not hopeless newb here

Cwix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have always been fascinated with photography and wanted to learn more but the cost involved has often held me back from anything besides a nice point and shoot or a cell camera. Recently though a coworker mentioned that his daughter was selling a camera she got off of amazon for $250 as she never used it and wanted to put the money towards a car.

So I ended up buying this second hand camera that came with a few lenses and a handful of filters for pretty cheap. I picked it up thinking it would be something good to learn on. Since then I have become completely overwhelmed with the amount of information out there and have tried soaking up every bit of it, reading books, watching you tube, etc. Honestly though it feels a bit like trying to teach yourself algebra when you never got the hang of fractions. So I figure I need to study the fundamentals and was looking for advice on where to get started.

I have a Yi M1 (Seems not too popular, some mediocre reviews, and the random assorted "it sucks" in the one thread I can find here about it.) It came with both of the kit lenses. One is a 42.5mm prime lens and the other is a 12mm to 40mm zoom. It also came with an Olympus 40mm-150mm (looks to be the cheap one from best buy) and some 25mm el-cheapo from amazon that has some weird distortions. I am hoping this thing is good enough to learn some proper techniques on at least.

I have been focusing on scenery and landscape style photos as I figure landscapes complain less when you take about an hour trying to figure out how to change that one setting, without mucking up all the others in the process. Kinda not digging the touch screen to make these changes.

Does anyone have any advice on where to best start? I figure I should pick a setting that's the most important, like maybe shutter speed and then trying to get the other settings lined up right to get a good photo. Anyone have a really good barney does photos youtube series maybe that doesn't end after the poster got tired of making the third video lol?

Or can I post some of the pictures I have taken and get advice on what settings might have worked better? Or where you would have started with that scene, like would you have gotten aperture set and then worked from there? I haven't taken anything amazing, its all mostly kinda mundane stuff, but right now I want to know how I should set the camera to take a good picture when I am presented with a great photo op. If so do I post them here, or where?

Thanks in advance!

Set your camera to Auto mode and participate in the Weekly Challenges here on the forum. Practise composition and seeing. Then learn technical things as the need presents itself.

I want to know how I should set the camera to take a good picture when I am presented with a great photo op. If so do I post them here, or where?

Seriously give yourself a break.
Go and take photographs of things that interest YOU then look at them and think what way would YOU change the setup to make them more appealing to YOU.
Forget that technicalities exist and just enjoy the experience. Skills will be picked up as and when they are required.
I have never owned a camera over $250 and now most of my pics are taken with a phone. I have been a hobby photographer for 40 years and still really look forward to my planned photography days.

Welcome to the forum. As said above, have fun first of all and go slowly. You will soon become your biggest critic as you gain insight. Don't let it get more than your hobby. When I miss a great shot, I think " At least I got to experience that moment ".

I recommend learning the camera controls and what they and lenses do first. Then learn lighting and composition. Then learn to use light room for post processing which will take your images to a whole higher level. Where can you get info on all that for as low as $10 or 20/month. Kelby training https://kelbyone.com Thats cheaper that a book every couple of months and you can view the videos, watch them over and over and back up if you miss anything. there are courses I guarantee the knowledge you gain from one years 240 will transform your photography more that 240 spent on any piece of gear. Ansel Adams said the most important part of the camera is the 12 inches behind it.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I will take a look at those kelby videos.

I hope I didn't come off as sounding too serious. I just want to kind of learn the right way. I am not expecting perfection at all, its only a hobby. :)

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I will take a look at those kelby videos.

I hope I didn't come off as sounding too serious. I just want to kind of learn the right way. I am not expecting perfection at all, its only a hobby. :)

Here's some reading to get you started: class_notes

Joe

Joe, Thanks for those class notes. I really enjoyed reading them and that explained a lot about the histogram that I was not familiar with!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back