Another hummingbird photo

MystrE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to squeeze the most I can out of my zoom lens and while fighting a fused neck, heat and humidity, I've been trying to get some more hummingbird shots. Here is one I took this afternoon and this hummer looks like he was in a bit of a dispute since his beak looks to have been nicked and there is a missing feather on his neck. I've enjoyed trying to get some snapshots of these birds and thank heavens for the delete button on my
camera!

$DSC_3476.jpg

And this fidgety fellow came by a little later...

$DSC_3481.jpg

These are both better than the hummingbirds I have been able to capture! I prefer the second one even though the bokeh on the first one is interesting, the bird feeder looks awkward on it.
On #2 the contrast makes the eye go to the bird and I love to golden tones of the throat! Focus is rather good! cute little fellow!

They like to zoom in to the feeder, hit the juice and move out quickly. For health reasons, I've been forced to stay under our patio so it has been very difficult to get any photos without the feeder showing. I would have to sit out in the yard in the heat and sun to get a different view and right now, that's not a good thing for me to do.

Last edited:
This particular hummingbird was so nice to share his feeding port with a tiny flying insect...

$DSC_3583.jpg

Taken this morning while kneeling on the ground close to the feeder...

DSC_3623.jpg

Very nice shots. Its amazing how fast they flap lol

Lovely! This was my first year to put out hummingbird feeder. Took most of the summer (and moving the feeders) to ever get any hummers, and I never did get a male one (unless one shows up during migration, still hoping!). They are SO much fun to watch, and to TRY to get pictures of, but they are quite challenging.
Still, once they get used to you, they aren't really scared of much. I've learned that two of mine will come in, take a sip, then back off from the feeder about six inches, then dart in for another sip, and on and on. They'll hover for about a second when they back off, and it's my chance to get a shot!

They are the tiny little jerks of the bird world, I love them! So ferocious! I've never had my camera around when I see one though (we don't have feeders up, and wouldn't likely see one as the development is too new, not enough perching and hiding plants). I'd love to take a shot at getting a photo like this.

They are the tiny little jerks of the bird world, I love them! So ferocious! I've never had my camera around when I see one though (we don't have feeders up, and wouldn't likely see one as the development is too new, not enough perching and hiding plants). I'd love to take a shot at getting a photo like this.
You might be surprised, Civchic. Too late this year, for sure, but if I were you, I'd definitely put one or two out next year. They will FIND a place to perch, and if they want to hide--well, they can zip off and hide so fast, you won't really even be sure if you saw a bird or a bee fly past! I've seen plenty of apartment dwellers attract them.
There's a place between here and Nashville, a little Mennonite Community--they have a small restaurant, with three hummingbird feeders up and NO trees or bushes anywhere on the property. I have never seen as many hummingbirds in one area as I've seen there before!

Thanks everybody for your kind comments! Every one of these photos were taken using my Nikon's pop up flash either early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Every once in awhile, they'll back up and hover for a split second and that's how I got the photo I posted today. I wish it would have been a little sharper but I'll live with the photo I got. This Saturday, the Feliciana Nature Society and National Wild Bird Refuge is holding it's annual Hummingbird Celebration nearby. I'm planning on going to 2 of their sites to observe their experts capture, band and release these birds back into the wild. Hopefully, I'll get to hold a hummer while it's banded and I'll most certainly bring my camera to get a few shots. Here's hoping the weather holds up this Saturday!

You might be surprised, Civchic. Too late this year, for sure, but if I were you, I'd definitely put one or two out next year. They will FIND a place to perch, and if they want to hide--well, they can zip off and hide so fast, you won't really even be sure if you saw a bird or a bee fly past! I've seen plenty of apartment dwellers attract them.
There's a place between here and Nashville, a little Mennonite Community--they have a small restaurant, with three hummingbird feeders up and NO trees or bushes anywhere on the property. I have never seen as many hummingbirds in one area as I've seen there before!
Really, sm4him! Maybe we will get one for next year. My son already has 2 finch feeders out there that attract goldfinches and house finches (and many many sparrows) and red wing black birds. He'd be thrilled if we could get hummers too.

Yep, there is one way to guarantee you won't see hummingbirds. Don't put a feeder up. I would encourage you to try it next year and see what happens. FWIW, our male cat enjoys sitting on the window sill and watching the feeder; I can only imagine what's going on in his little cat brain.

I set up another feeder on my patio and now I seeing more hummingbirds flying about. They're even beginning to share the feeders which is something I have not seen all summer long. Since there are more hummingbirds flitting about the patio, my 2 cats are beginning to take notice and they spend time at the patio window watching all the goings on. I'm finding it very hard to follow these birds in mid flight with my camera but I keep plugging away; here is a shot I got just a few minutes ago. The busy background is light shining through the trees in the woods behind my backyard.
DSC_3702.jpg

Most reactions

Back