another lense?

Hardrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I want to replace my 18-55 kit lense on my canon. I currently have the 70-300, 50mm , and 100mm lenses. Which are all great but I want to be able to have a universal lense that I can take on trips that I can use with out changing the lense very often plus when my wife uses the 50mm or 100mm she hates it because you have to adjust with your feet!. So I was looking at the canon 17-40 f4L (I want to stick with canon).Its seems like a great price and Im sure it would be a great upgrade over the kit lense, but is it money well spent or should I get the 2.8 version or another canon lense? Like I said the lense will be used mostly for vacations, landscapes and for my wife to use with out complaining about swapping lenses. Thanks for the advice in advance!

The Canon 17-40 f4 is a nice piece of L glass. The only limitation to me is it being an f4. I need fast glass. If you routinely use something wider that f4 then I would suggest the 17-55 f2.8 IS. It is not an L lens, but if highly regard lens that is compared by many to L glass. The one draw back to this lens is it is an EF-S lens that will not fit on a full frame camera body. If you are not planning to move to a 5D MKII 1D MKIII or 1Ds MKIII in the future no problem.

The only other 2.8 upgrade in that focal range you are looking at would actually be two lenses. The 16-35 f2.8L and the 24-70 f2.8L I have both of them and love them, but you are looking at $3,000.00 for the pair.

Good luck.

The f4 is a great lens. If you plan on shooting in low light, you may want to consider a 2.8 version, although it may be a bit bigger. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back