Another new lens question.

luvmybella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got the Canon EOS Rebel T3 for Christmas. It came with the 18-55mm lens. I want to get another but I am limited with my funds. My SO says I have $200 without shipping costs to get a new lens.

I wouldn't mind getting a used one if I knew it was a reputable place/person.

I've looked on ebay and found some new 55-250mm and 55-300mm lenses in my price range. But on ebay I also found some that say "zoom" and some that say "telephoto". Whats the difference and what would be the best for me to start out with.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and answer!!

A zoom lens is any lens with a variable focal length: 10mm-20mm, 50-200mm, etc. Lenses of a fixed focal length such as the 50mm are known as prime lenses. The "tele" simply means that it is a lens with a focal length longer than that of a "normal" lens (Which on an APS-C sensor such as yours is a 35mm, and on a full-frame camera is a 50mm. These lenses produce a view which most closely approximates what the human eye sees, hence the term 'normal lens'.

I would suggest not rushing out and buying a new lens just yet. Spend some time with your camera and lens and learning to shoot, and then decide what you need. You might develop a style where you will want a flash more than another lens, or you may find that you really want a wide-angle lens (focal lengths less than "normal").

Buying used is a great way to save money. There are lots of good deals on eBay, but I prefer to buy from Craig's List or similar where I can test the lens before handing over any money.

anyway, 55-250 is a good lens for its price.

Most reactions

Back