Another newborn shoot :)

ang1995

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a couple from the other day that I did of my little cousin! : )

Please feel free to C&C as much as you like since I am still learning and clearly need all the help I can get! :)

#1 I made this hat : )
47a2dc37b3127cce9854987300ea00000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

47a2dc37b3127cce9854987e81d700000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

47a2dc37b3127cce98549b88408800000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

#4 You have to get the little toes : )
47a2dc37b3127cce9854986c81c500000035100AbNnLdo0YsmVg

C&C per req:

1. Nicely done; fleece is just a bit over-exposed however; you've lost some detail near the child. I would also consider pulling the blanket down to cover the dark area lower image right.

2. Again, the detail in the fleece is lost, consider adding a little more light just on the child to reduce your dynamic range slightly. Nicely executed monochrome, and again, the dark corner lower right.

3. Not really a fan of 'open-mouth'shots. As per #s 1 & 2 regarding exposure.

4. Depth of field... and exposure. you've lost most of the detail in the left foot, and the right is completely unfocused. I think this would have better shot in portrait orientation.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Mind if I ask what software you're using and how you are converting those B&W's?

Love them, however I don't think the blanket is over exposed. #1, seems nicely done....I want another baby now :)

C&C per req:

1. Nicely done; fleece is just a bit over-exposed however; you've lost some detail near the child. I would also consider pulling the blanket down to cover the dark area lower image right.

2. Again, the detail in the fleece is lost, consider adding a little more light just on the child to reduce your dynamic range slightly. Nicely executed monochrome, and again, the dark corner lower right.

3. Not really a fan of 'open-mouth'shots. As per #s 1 & 2 regarding exposure.

4. Depth of field... and exposure. you've lost most of the detail in the left foot, and the right is completely unfocused. I think this would have better shot in portrait orientation.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thanks for the advice! : )
I do agree with you on like everything that you've said.
I don't know why but for some reason when I uploaded these pictures they all look washed out and stuff and they didn't before. :(

Mind if I ask what software you're using and how you are converting those B&W's?

I use mostly Adobe Bridge for all my editing : ) But I just adjusted all the setting myself. Are they good or bad? :)

Love them, however I don't think the blanket is over exposed. #1, seems nicely done....I want another baby now :)

Yeah i know! Like I said it wasnt that way when i had them on the comp so I don't know what happened.

Thanks for the comment! : )

ang1995 said:
Yeah i know! Like I said it wasnt that way when i had them on the comp so I don't know what happened.

When you say adobe bridge - do you mean camera raw??

Did you accidentally save them under a Different colorspace? If it is set to something other than sRGB - it will look different online...

Adobe Bridge?? Thats not an editing program? What do you do there?

To me, the conversion looks muddy and lacking, kinda like what you get if you turn it to greyscale or click the bw convert button and stop there. There's a few actionsets I recommend downloading, if for nothing else than to see if there's anything you like, and get to know your photoshop or elements more by watching what the actions do (thats how I learned most of my stuff).
Photoshop Actions | Pioneer Woman Photography | Ree Drummond
Free Photoshop Actions
The CoffeeShop Blog: CoffeeShop Actions and Presets!
All of those are great blogs to follow/ friend on FB too, since they do give-aways and stuff (if you aren't already that is!)

As for the images, I'd like to see you ditch the black and try for white once or twice, make it a little more airy :D I love the monkey hat (great job!) and the skin on the baby looks nice. The angle of 2 is a little too much top-o-head. #3 is cute, its nice to have some that babe isn't just sleeping all the time :D Blown out whites though, gotta watch that. #4 i'd probably crop that other piggie out, since its oof but without a sense of depth.

ang1995 said:

When you say adobe bridge - do you mean camera raw??

Did you accidentally save them under a Different colorspace? If it is set to something other than sRGB - it will look different online...

Yes, I mean camera raw. Sorry, I alway forget its called that too. : )

No I didn't at least I didn't think I did. : )

Adobe Bridge?? Thats not an editing program? What do you do there?

To me, the conversion looks muddy and lacking, kinda like what you get if you turn it to greyscale or click the bw convert button and stop there. There's a few actionsets I recommend downloading, if for nothing else than to see if there's anything you like, and get to know your photoshop or elements more by watching what the actions do (thats how I learned most of my stuff).
Photoshop Actions | Pioneer Woman Photography | Ree Drummond
Free Photoshop Actions
The CoffeeShop Blog: CoffeeShop Actions and Presets!
All of those are great blogs to follow/ friend on FB too, since they do give-aways and stuff (if you aren't already that is!)

As for the images, I'd like to see you ditch the black and try for white once or twice, make it a little more airy :D I love the monkey hat (great job!) and the skin on the baby looks nice. The angle of 2 is a little too much top-o-head. #3 is cute, its nice to have some that babe isn't just sleeping all the time :D Blown out whites though, gotta watch that. #4 i'd probably crop that other piggie out, since its oof but without a sense of depth.

Thanks for the links! I will look at them and hopefully that will help me out some. I need all the help I can get. :)

Thanks for all the advice! I know these are not perfect and that's just part of learning so it really helps when I can get people to tell me what I need to change. :)

Most reactions

Back