Another noob looking to become a sorta-kinda-semi-pro

onehundredoctane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all! My name is Matt, I'm 27, work in healthcare and tinker on cars in my spare time. I've always like taking pictures mostly with a point and shoot Sony cybershot, I've recently upgraded to a Canon T3i and now I've decided to finally consult the online photography community as some of you guys are paid professionals. I would like to eventually get into the paid side of the profession and have this as a part time gig.

I came here because a friend is wanting me to do her engagement pictures to help save some money, ok, not a big deal. But I know she has very high standards in general, which intimidates me a little if I'm honest. I'll be using my Canon T3i (seems a lot of noobs are using these, any paid pros use them?) with the only lens it came with, 18-55mm lens. I would like to think I have a good eye for what makes an interesting photo, but enough babble, let the photos speak for themselves. Since I'm a noob professional lighting is out of the question, so is photoshop, I've been messing around with Picasa, it's easy to use, probably designed for people like me. Any input is greatly appreciated, just don't be a douche about it, I've mentioned I'm new, keep that in mind. I don't want to post a ton a pictures, here are three of my favorites that I've taken over the last few months. I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Pic 1, I took this at the Biltmore Estate is Asheville, NC. The paito area is lined with decorative stone work which is what I snapped this pic looking thru. I really don't remember if I editted this one after it was taken.
$IMG_0605_CR2_-1024x681.jpg

Pics 2, this one was also taken at the Biltmore estate. I cropped this one a little in Picasa, if I made any other adjustments they were minor.

$IMG_0609_CR2_-1024x400.jpg

Pic 3, this one was taken at a local park that just opened. The sunlight coming thru the colored glass caught my eye, I editted this on in Picasa a little to accent the colors more.

$418450_10150604186595379_502775378_11258300_1622485848_n.jpg

Another noob looking to become a sorta-kinda-semi-pro

REALLY? What an UNUSUAL idea! ;) And so soon after getting your T3i! (and no.. I don't believe any real PROs use that kind of body.. it is considered very Entry Level.. you might find some of the "Pro's" on Facebook using it.. but that is about it!)

Last edited:
When you understand what happens to a photo when you change shutter speed, lens aperture, ISO, focus mode, metering mode, and white balance you will have acquired the basic technical photographic knowledge.

When you understand how form, line, shape, shadows, proportion, scale, perspective, affect how a viewer experiences your photos you will have acquired the basis artistic knowledge needed.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-forum/267492-info-those-new-photography.html

In #1 and #2 the main subject lacks scale. #2 would better have been shot with a vertical frame orientation, fill lighting was needed to fill the deep shadow caused by back lighting.

#3 has pretty good composition but the sky is blown out (over exposed) and all the photo has a greenish color cast to it.

Last edited:
A thread title like that will always be like an air-raid siren going off around here.

But, hello Matt and welcome

Given that your friend expects you to help out, noob or not, I seriously recommend checking out as many pics for this type of photography as you can ... check some wedding / engagement portfolios etc so that you know what is expected of you ... maybe even plan for some of those shots, borrow an extra lens or something ... because you may have a lot of time to learn and go pro ... but your friend will surely not be too happy with a bunch of snaps she doesn't like ... Any extra creativity you bring in will definitely be a plus ... but a lot of the 'expected' shots can be already 'kept in mind' ...

Common sense leads to the conclusion that she is looking for good and cheap, heavy emphasis on cheap.

Trust me and tell her your not to that level yet. Or at least do it for free. Then she cant be mad if things dont turn out great and it would be good practice for you.

Welcome Matt.

Where abouts in NC are you? I'm in Raleigh, but I love the Asheville / Black Mountain area and try to get there at least once a year. I also do a week in October every year on the BRP. This year it will be in the Spruce Pines area.

A thread title like that will always be like an air-raid siren going off around here.

But, hello Matt and welcome

At least he is willing to admit he is a Noob. That is step one to getting better.

Geez bestbuy has been doing a lot of bizness lately!

Welcome Matt.

Where abouts in NC are you? I'm in Raleigh, but I love the Asheville / Black Mountain area and try to get there at least once a year. I also do a week in October every year on the BRP. This year it will be in the Spruce Pines area.

I like it there too. Thats where i hide out during summer months when FL is scorching hot
bigthumb.gif

Welcome Matt.

Dude, Idea,,,,,,,,, we....I mean you can shoot the event for him...............- I will come along and shoot the gorgeous scenery near Spruce Pine and the Blue Ridge Parkway, I love that area.....

As long as someone got a laugh that's all that matters, that was the point of the thread title at least.

Given that your friend expects you to help out, noob or not, I seriously recommend checking out as many pics for this type of photography as you can ... check some wedding / engagement portfolios etc so that you know what is expected of you ... maybe even plan for some of those shots, borrow an extra lens or something ... because you may have a lot of time to learn and go pro ... but your friend will surely not be too happy with a bunch of snaps she doesn't like ... Any extra creativity you bring in will definitely be a plus ... but a lot of the 'expected' shots can be already 'kept in mind' ...

Thanks for the suggestions! I've already been looking thru tons of sites figuring out what I think she will and won't like. We're planning on sitting down and planning all the spots to shoot at (downtown Greensboro has much to offer), and go from there.

Common sense leads to the conclusion that she is looking for good and cheap, heavy emphasis on cheap.

Trust me and tell her your not to that level yet. Or at least do it for free. Then she cant be mad if things dont turn out great and it would be good practice for you.

Thanks for your input. Trust me, she knows what she's getting, she's seen pics I've taken, and I wasn't expecting payment anyway given that I'm a beginner and know very little. Plus she's marrying one of my best friends, so even if I was a 30 year vet I wouldn't have taken her money. You can't put a price on friendship sometimes.

Welcome Matt.

I'm in Greensboro and have lived in NC for all but 3 years of my life. I love it here! Not too far to the mtns, not to far to the beach, it's a great in between. The pics I posted were from my second trip to Asheville, it's a very diverse city, I wish I could spend more time there.

As long as someone got a laugh that's all that matters, that was the point of the thread title at least.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've already been looking thru tons of sites figuring out what I think she will and won't like. We're planning on sitting down and planning all the spots to shoot at (downtown Greensboro has much to offer), and go from there.

Thanks for your input. Trust me, she knows what she's getting, she's seen pics I've taken, and I wasn't expecting payment anyway given that I'm a beginner and know very little. Plus she's marrying one of my best friends, so even if I was a 30 year vet I wouldn't have taken her money. You can't put a price on friendship sometimes.

Welcome Matt.

I'm in Greensboro and have lived in NC for all but 3 years of my life. I love it here! Not too far to the mtns, not to far to the beach, it's a great in between. The pics I posted were from my second trip to Asheville, it's a very diverse city, I wish I could spend more time there.

Geez bestbuy has been doing a lot of bizness lately!

HA! What would the point have been in spending $800+ on a camera that I still wouldn't know how to use to it's full potential? It would've just been an expensive paper weight at that point. I won a go-kart race when I was 7, that doesn't mean I think I can go straight to Formula 1. Gradual progression is the key, and as long as I learn something and am able to put what I've learned to use, repeat that process a few times, then I MIGHT consider spending more money on a better camera.

I understand that making a noob thread draws all the trolls. I understand how forums work, if someone gets on one of the automotive forums I'm a member on, professes to be a noob and then goes on to ask how to replace a head gasket I'd have a laugh and tell them to take it to a pro also.

I'm taking a 6 hour photography class this weekend, and while I have already done a ton of reading and TRY to take what I consider are pictures worth looking at I realize I'm a noob.

So your friend wants to have a quality product, but the person they are consulting has neither the equipment nor the skill to give them that product. You do get what you pay for though, I guess, so if she wants cheap she shouldn't have her sights set so high when it comes to quality.

Why is photography the only profession where someone can pick up the tool and be ready to start taking money?

I'm sorry if I sound rude, but anyone else will say the same. You wrote the death certificate for this thread when you typed "I'm a noob but I'm already getting paid." Nobody is that prodigous, unfortunately. :(

Unless you're giving her pictures for free. If that's the case then go right ahead.

REALLY? What an UNUSUAL idea! ;) And so soon after getting your T3i! (and no.. I don't believe any real PROs use that kind of body.. it is considered very Entry Level.. you might find some of the "Pros's" on Facebook using it.. but that is about it!)

Hahahah! Good one.

Most reactions

Back