Spot meter question

MrsLittle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Incirlik Air Base, Adana Turkey (thank you Air For
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When doing portraits, do you spot meter? If so, do you meter off the darkest person's face or lightest?
I keep telling myself that I'm gonna remember to try out spot metering instead of Matrix, but when I get out and start taking photos I completely forget.

Yes, I spot metered when I did portraits.
I usually metered 6 or so spots before I decided what I wanted to do exposure wise.

On faces I generally metered the highlights on the faces.

Average light caucasian skin tones are around one stop brighter than 18% gray... which is what most gray cards are. (Most cameras now meter about 12% gray, rather than the older 18% gray, as most scenes actually have a 12% reflectivity value). Usually if metering a face.. I try to overexpose about a 1/2 to one stop. Check histogram.. correct if needed.

You may find this interesting... old thread http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/film-discussion-q/88206-does-18-cut-skin-tone.html

I tend to use a hand held light meter, but if not available, I will spot meter for the brightest spot on the subjects face.

Yep! I used a hand meter too, for metering incident and strobed lighting.

For the OP, the light meter in the camera can only measure reflected light.

I will just fiddle around with it a bit until I get the right exposure. I just really hate blown out skies, but unless I use a strobe then it most likely is going to be there.

Yep... and if you spot meter on someone's face, it's really going to be there. That's why I almost always use a flash outdoors. If it's just one person, and your close enough, the pop up flash on your camera will do the trick just fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back