another oldie

Raymond J Barlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raymondbarlow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
shot a year ago in the Manila Zoo, Philippines..

DSC_2095b0834websize.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

beautiful, ray! those eyes are amazing...

Mesmerizing eyes on that thing.
[I am feeling sleeeeeepy. I must go to the bank and withdraw my saaaaavings. Yessss master]

great shot ray, he's a beauty....just out of interest do you use, usm or any other sharpening filters or do you rely on your lenses/focal distance for sharpness? lovin your work :thumbup:

beautiful raymond!! and beside his left eye you can see water droplets...

your shots are always so detailed..... even the skin around the eyes..you can see the kinda leather look to them...

awesome...

Thanks so much April! You know, I was never really that interested with birds, and here I am 47, and something about shooting them fasinates me. I guess it's the challenge, and there beauty.

Archangel said:
great shot ray, he's a beauty....just out of interest do you use, usm or any other sharpening filters or do you rely on your lenses/focal distance for sharpness? lovin your work :thumbup:

Archangel, I do all my editing in Photoshop, and resizing in the Nikon Picture project. I usually shoot in RAW, adjust the exposure, then I use the levels adjustment, touch up the saturation, tune in the shadow/highlight, and add a hit of sharpening if it needs it. Now, with the neat image plug in, I run some of the high ISO shots through it, to see if I can reduce the noise level.

That is my basic workflow, very simple and fast. Some shots need a lot more work, working with layers, and other adjustments.

One tool I am learning now is the USM.. unsharp mask.. I still need to study it further, and develope the "eye" that Airic, Digital Matt and JM have for Graphics. It sure doen't come easy!

Such detail! But then, what do I always say about your photos. Sorry I can't be more original :sillysmi:

Great shot again!

Thanks ray....yes you may find the USM filter useful for your work, i use it on some of my bird shots. I just presumed you may already use it cuz your images are so sharp, and you only really need it if the focusing needs attention. But if your images are razor sharp anyway (like this one) it probably wouldn't have much effect. Still its useful for those shots you may have archived that need a bit of treatment. Thanks for the other info, its useful to know what routine a hardend wildlife photog like yourself uses. v.useful :thumbup:

Beautiful job! Love your DOF here. You really captured his intensity. I love him!! :)

Thanks everyone! always nice to see your comments

Archangel said:
Thanks ray....yes you may find the USM filter useful for your work, i use it on some of my bird shots. I just presumed you may already use it cuz your images are so sharp, and you only really need it if the focusing needs attention. But if your images are razor sharp anyway (like this one) it probably wouldn't have much effect. Still its useful for those shots you may have archived that need a bit of treatment. Thanks for the other info, its useful to know what routine a hardend wildlife photog like yourself uses. v.useful :thumbup:

What I do is simple quick and very basic., also, I forgot to mention I clone out stuff when I need to, and bandaid my sensor dust a lot!! lol

here is a example of the noise filter, Neat Image..

DSC_30580229websize0844websize.jpg

DSC_30580229websize0844websize20845.jpg

Nikon D70
2006/01/01 04:23:06.8
Compressed RAW (12-bit)
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: VR 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 D
Focal Length: 330mm
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Metering Mode: Spot
1/160 sec - F/5.6
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 400
Optimize Image: Sharp
White Balance: Cloudy
AF Mode: AF-C
Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0°
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: High
Image Comment:
Noise Reduction: OFF

Maybe I should turn on that noise reduction thing!

Wow, that Neat image makes alot of difference....brilliant, and you've not lost any feather detail, although i suppose you could if its overused. The unsharpen mask is similar in that it will give your focus spots a ghosting effect if its used too much. But this is a great job...ill have to get that plugin.

Your camera info is also very useful to me, never know the best set up for wildlife photog, so i can compare this to my D50 setup. Thanks Ray :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back