rknrl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
wanted to share a recent shoot.. critique would definitely be welcome
$DSC_5417 c q 3.jpg
$DSC_5468 s.jpg

You NEED fill light; both are under-exposed; #2, quite severely. Attractive young lady; you need to do her justice! ;)

In #1 you have shot up at your model.

That's not a good look, you make her seem like she has a massive jaw.

Either shoot at the same eye level, or shoot down on her.

All of the important stuff is near the top.- and clipping the head makes it look like a mistake when there's lots of space on bottom or sides.
She is tilted, blue and, of course, underexposed.

DSC_5468-slllll22222.jpg~original

Last edited:
wanted to share a recent shoot.. critique would definitely be welcome
View attachment 46057
It looks from her sclera and cheeks you used 2 light source color temperatures - mixed lighting.
Consequently the white balance can only be 100% corrected for one or the other light source, or partially corrected for both.
In ACR I opted for partial correction of the white balance for both light sources, capture sharpened, reduced color noise, and boosted the mid-tone contrast slightly.
In CS 5, I did selective editing of her sclera to neutralize the uneven white balance. I touched up a couple of hot spots on her nose and in her sclera
I cropped a bit off the right side and bottom, and I used the Sharpen Tool set to 60%, Protect Details on both iris, eyebrows, nose, and lips.

DSC_Edit5417cq3.jpg

#1-camera is far too low, which makes her chin and lower jaw look excessively large and prominent. #2 has an optimal camera height, and she looks so much prettier in shot #2 than in #1. An accurate and pleasing size ratio between her forehead and her chin and jaw are shown in the second photo, and it really makes her look better. In the second shot, the camera is not looking up her nostrils, which is a plus.

One of the optical fundamentals in portraiture revolves around shooting the picture from a distance that is NOT too close. At close distances, even relatively minor camera height differences will overly exaggerate the size of whatever is closest to the camera, and will also overly "shrink" the size of things that are just a few inches more distant. This is what happened in the first photo--the camera is both too close, and too low, and it causes a fundamental exaggeration in the way she is rendered b y the camera's unflinching eye. She is a beautiful woman. A re-shoot is clearly in order!

My advice with today's high-megapixel d-slrs: never crop off the top of the head in head-and shoulders or bust-length compositions. On some extreme close-ups, it is permissible or even desirable to crop off the top of the head, but with todays's 16-,24-,and 36-MP cameras, it's almost always better to leave at least a few inches above the top of the head, for standard prints like 8x10, and also just for cropping flexibility and some leeway.

It looks to me that her nose at one time was broke.

thanks for the feedback guys. as always it as very useful
on that note heres couple more. tried to keep your suggestions in mind this time
$DSC_5453e s 1.jpg

#5 i really didnt pick the angles right i guess
$DSC_5422 5.jpg

Click a natural looks & not an intentional one, make her look else where & why are you cutting the head in all the pics ??????

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back