Another question about lighting

ryan7783

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Oh no not another one of these!

I have been commissioned by a friend to shoot some pictures for his new business. He just started his own screen printing business and is actually doing quite well already. Anyway he asked me if I would shoot a few pictures of him and a model wearing his t-shirts and of course I jumped on the chance to gain some experience. The pictures will be used on his website which, I imagine, will be getting a lot of traffic since his sales are already through the roof.

That being said, I'd like to know what kind of lighting I might need for such a thing. He understands that I do not already own lighting equipment and that for me to go out and buy any would be a kick in the wallet so he has agreed to use "shop lights" and cover them with tracing paper as sort of a makeshift diffuser. Are they're any objections to why this might not be a good idea? He says he wants sharp images with good color.

I guess what I'm asking in a roundabout way is - Will someone please tell me what I can inexpensively do to make his products and models look fairly decent? I know this is a broad questions and I also know that you get what you pay for but if anyone can offer some "lighting tricks" I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks

oh I should also mention that the pictures will be shot outside in front of his porch and in his bedroom

hehe

yes, strobist is amazing.

But some other advice would be to go pick up some sheets to use a backdrops. The shop lights will probably not be that big of a problem, it just might take some time to dial in the exposure. How many lights do you have to work with?

I have been reading a little there but I was mainly asking the pro's and semi-pro's here if they had any inexpensive tricks to lighting to give the pictures that "dirty" or "industrial" look. I will continue reading strobist but for now, can anyone suggest anything?

But some other advice would be to go pick up some sheets to use a backdrops. The shop lights will probably not be that big of a problem, it just might take some time to dial in the exposure. How many lights do you have to work with?

I have a few and he has a few so maybe 6 total. I'm fairly certain he wants the background included in the pictures...even though the main emphasis will be on the shirt itself. I had mentioned I would consider using a 4.5 DOF for a blurry background and he seemed to agree with that.

Why not use your 50mm f/1.8?

Read the manual flash tutorial in my signature and make sure you have a flash and a way to trigger it from off camera.

A nice setup with natural light and a single flash is to have the flash directly opposite the natural light. Soften the natural light first. Then, place the flash so it is in the subject's shadow. So, if the natural light source is behind and to the left of the subject, the flash will be in front and to the right. This creates a crisp look once you get the light balanced.

Why not use your 50mm f/1.8?

that was part of the plan too.

Read the manual flash tutorial in my signature and make sure you have a flash and a way to trigger it from off camera.

A nice setup with natural light and a single flash is to have the flash directly opposite the natural light. Soften the natural light first. Then, place the flash so it is in the subject's shadow. So, if the natural light source is behind and to the left of the subject, the flash will be in front and to the right. This creates a crisp look once you get the light balanced.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do that

Ok I have another question...

I've decided I want the SB800, which I've seen for $309.99, but occasionally I see a deal for the flash, battery tube cases, batteries, off camera extension shoe cord and flash flip camera bracket for $409.99

I'm not too familiar with lighting prices so is that a good deal? Should I bother spending the extra hundred bucks for the other stuff or is it just a waste of money?

oh yeah here's the link
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-800-...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1209325461&sr=8-3

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For off camera flash, all you really need to get started is a flash (obviously) a way to fire it from off camera (sync cords work fine and aren't that expensive) and a stand to put the flash on (a cheap wobbly tripod will do fine).

You can pick up a second hand flash at a reasonable price (it doesn't even have to be compatible with your camera, all it needs is a sync port to take the cord), just make sure it has manual adjustments.

The flash bracket is just a way of getting the flash slightly further away from the lens axis. I personally wouldn't go and get one, as it won't give you any significant advantage over on camera flash, as it is still basically on camera flash. You can get the same results by holding the flash in your left hand just above the camera. And that will give you more flexibility as well. The off camera shoe cords that keep all the metering information intact are nice but they are rather expensive, and in my experience they are meant simply to mount the flash on a bracket, so they aren't that long.

thanks very much. So you're saying I need a flash with manual adjustments, a tripod, and a cord?

Check out the 'Starving Student Kit' on here. I haven't used it but I've heard good things about it. Good luck :)

That starving student kit has about $90 worth of junk in it.

All you need is:
- $15-$25 light stand
- $80 strobe
- $10 optical trigger

... and for a beginner you are good to go!

Look for something like a sunpak 383 or a vivitar 285. Then you can either use an optical slave which will be triggered by your on camera flash. Or you can radio triggers like Gadget Infinity Cactus V2's. These are a little more reliable and run around 35 when the optical slave is only like 10.

There are many cheap light stands on ebay. You will also need a hot-shoe bracket to go from the flash stand to the hot shoe on your flash. Again, strobist has boatloads of information pertaining to just this.

That starving student kit has about $90 worth of junk in it.

All you need is:
- $15-$25 light stand
- $80 strobe
- $10 optical trigger

... and for a beginner you are good to go!

Thanks Jerry.

Look for something like a sunpak 383 or a vivitar 285. Then you can either use an optical slave which will be triggered by your on camera flash. Or you can radio triggers like Gadget Infinity Cactus V2's. These are a little more reliable and run around 35 when the optical slave is only like 10.

There are many cheap light stands on ebay. You will also need a hot-shoe bracket to go from the flash stand to the hot shoe on your flash. Again, strobist has boatloads of information pertaining to just this.

you think I might as well buy the good flash since I'll probably be needing one down the road anyway?

Most reactions

Back