another 'taking it in'

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
how do you feel about this one. at first, i couldn't tell if the guy was sleeping or thinking...i found out shortly after. he was studying a piece on the wall to my right and had held that pose forever it seemed...he was definately into art this day. i dropped low for this one to get a slightly different perspective.

shot with a D70 - existing light - rested camera on top of camera bag. i know that dang barrel look is present again, but i wanted to include as much art work as possible to get a feel of the room.

25641226-L.jpg

The low angle works so well here, and the conversion is swoon worthy as usual. I know you're an in camera cropper, but that little bit of painting that is cut off on the left and creeping in on the right bothers me a little.

so crop equally on both sides or just crop the right pic frame out? i wanted to keep the sitter centered.

You could do either, though if you did equally, I think it would make the picture on the left sem a bit more natural. Either way, I'm having more and more trouble looking away from that man. :)

I would agree about the crop, but say just do the right side. Otherwise I really like this image...there seems to be some distortion you are getting and I'm not sure why but it makes it kind of cool looking :) The conversion is perfect and I think you really captured something nice here Jon :)

I have to agree with those above, but specifically with ThatCameraThingy. If you have ps, clone out that right frame. Otherwise don't touch this one. I like the "barrel" look and I also really enjoy the subject. It reminds me somewhat of Ferris Buellers Day Off when they look at Sunday on la grande jatte by Suerat.

the angle and composition is done quite well. As for the right frame, I do find it a little annoying, however the trim on the wall adds to the character of the room significantly. I am not a big fan of using PS to clone out things in images (takes out some of the art of shooting), however in this case I might make an exception if it were me.

thanks all. here's the edited version. seems with the little bit of frame missing it looks unbalanced.

25764076-L.jpg

this does feel a little off balance now. My eyes also seem to be drawn away from the subject now and towards the empty space. Then again that could be caused by the fact I know what was changed.

The second version makes me feel like something is missing which has now taken my eyes away from the main subject and I find it more distracting than the little bit of frame that was there before.

Love the low angle of this - creates a really intimate feel. I would have said the original was spot on, no alterations needed.

jon, first and foremost, sweet capture!

i think the first image is far more balanced than the edited version - it doesn't bother me one bit because it happens in our own eyes all day long (try it now, the lamp/bookcase/printer is ccut in half isnt it?), ive personally never had a problem with it.

unique perspective and a precious shot to work from/improve on, one improvement would be to kick the other person/sitter out of the room and get them off the bench ( :p ).

where is this shot? it reminds me of the art gallery in the film "the thomas crown affair" with pierce brosnan.

over all a nice very image!

Lovely image, jon... the low angle with the conversion adds a great touch.

I think the original looks great... the frame is definitely not a problem if this is the best view you could get with your lens. My first impression was the man and the perfectly framed trimming above.
Best of all, it's a very evocative picture. nice one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back