Another wierd question brought to you by Asfixiate

asfixiate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Why would someone go with top Hasselblad over the top Nikons/Canons?

I'm reading info on them and just curious.(I'm not getting one anytime soon obviously.)

Same reason you'd buy ferrari instead of corvette? Or can you do that much more with hasselblad than nikon/canon

Why would someone go with top Hasselblad over the top Nikons/Canons?
For starters, pixel count and physical size of sensor - 39MP in a 36mm X 48mm sensor. I'm sure that there are many other reasons but it's over my head.

I'm reading
http://www.pictureline.com/products/15064/Hasselblad_H3D_II-39MS_Digital_Camera_Kit/

The GPS thing is cool.

Guess to me its the difference in buying a Rolls or a corvette. Rolls are hand made and corvettes factory made. To me though this seems like a crazy expense.

Because my 35'x 60' billboard in times square won't look right blown up off a d40.

Or you should probably read the specs closer. 48bit color depth vs. 12 bit and just recently 14 bit in the newest DSLR's.

Some one posted picture of a marins taken with a FF (Hasselblad are considered MF) camera and post a 100% crop. You coul read the words on the street signs that were about 1/8" x 1/4" with the shrunken photo.

Why indeed...

The 48bit vs 12 bit and 39mp vs 21mp could be deal breakers to some.

The taking a picture and being able to see the letters could also be deal breakers.

That covers blowing up something to a huge level as well as higher resolution.

Would you say that National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, etc use more hasselblads than Canons?

The 48bit vs 12 bit and 39mp vs 21mp could be deal breakers to some.

The taking a picture and being able to see the letters could also be deal breakers.

That covers blowing up something to a huge level as well as higher resolution.

Would you say that National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, etc use more hasselblads than Canons?

No. A hasselblad will not shoot at 10fps.

Probably not. The Hasselblad is huge compared to dSLR (not really easy to carry around and not easy to handle for sports), the choice of lenses is much more limited for the Hassy and the image quality of the pro dSLRs is more than enough for a double page in National Geographic.

On and off topic of what I'm talking about. Does anyone know anything about Leica?

Is size the main factor making this camera so expensive?

this person i know was telling me she was gonna get a hasselblad...to be honest, despite all the things that it has that are better than any "normal" dslr in the case of personal use i do not think it is necessary to spend that kind of money....there are not many situations that i could think of that a pro dslr couldn't handle...

In agreeing with what some other people have said, each of those cameras has it's purpose. I don't think you'd catch a war photographer lugging around a Hasselblad. And I doubt you'd catch a high-fashion photographer using a 12mp Nikon.

has anyone seen 13 going on 30? The camera he uses to take the big group shot (high school theme). Is that a hasselblad?

A local pro photographer told me, "photographers don't buy those cameras, magazines buy those cameras for their photographers." I think this is probably the truth. High fashion magazines and companies that want nothing but the highest of quality buy them. I'm willing th bet that when the photographer goes, the camera stays.

Hasselbalds and other Medium format cameras are more suited to the studio, where size, weight, speed, etc are not an issue. Quality is the only consideration. SLRs are designed for Field use. SLRs take into consideration things like Battery life, FPS, read/wright speeds, physical size, robust build, weatherproofing, and image quality, so SLR need to balance all of the above, and cannot(yet) have all of the above and hassy image quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back