What's new

Another year, Another car event, another C&C post.

Alan92RTTT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Apr 5, 2010
Messages
318
Reaction score
40
Location
Madison Heights, Mi
In the quest to get better at photography for my event I am posting some of the pictures I took.

I am sure that their are a ton of things in each of these that are wrong. So please be kind :)

DSC_4431-2.jpg

DSC_4435-2.jpg

DSC_4510-2.jpg

DSC_4682.jpg

DSC_4879.jpg
 
My first impression is that none of these really capture "speed". What I mean is...the cars all look like they are standing still. The only way I can tell that they were actually moving is because of the suspension deformation. Try a few with longer exposure times, and pan the camera with the car. It'll take some practice, but when you get it right the car will remain clear, while the background and the wheels will get motion blurred.
 
I know what you mean and I failed at all attempots to do that :( I think I need to go sit on the street corner and practice that one.

That said I don't think that would have worked with the 1st 4 as the angle was wrong for that of panning.

The 5th has the right lline for that But, I was trying pickup the heat blur.
 
Edit ... Contents deleted since according to the OP it had nothing to do with what he wanted.
 
Last edited:
I did not shoot any of these with the intention of capturing speed.

I just wanted a good looking shot.
 
I did not shoot any of these with the intention of capturing speed.

I just wanted a good looking shot.
That's not the impression you gave in post #3, but OK, as you wish. I'll edit my post and delete the contents.
 
I was talking about other shots not posted here where I tried to capture speed. As you said the angle for these shots is all wrong for any attempts to show speed blur.
 
Last edited:
Polarizer. Got one? :-)

Some of that can be cleaned up in post. But mostly, just practice and you'll get it. I practice panning and shooting cars that drive by when I'm on the front porch having a smoke. No reason really other than it's a excuse to use my camera. lol.
 
among many other things, it helps kill glare and reflections on cars, especially on windshields.
 
There are lots of brands, just grab a Tiffen to use and see how you like it. They are decent for the money. There are more expensive ones that may be better quality, but Tiffen always worked well by me and those I know.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom