Any CPAs in the house, or anyone use one for photography?--Not a pricing question ;)

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So this year I want to get really serious about what I'm doing.

I'm playing with numbers and they're giving me a f**king headache.

In any case, I have a rough idea of what I need to do to survive if I were to go Full Time (I'm not. But I want to price as if I WERE... so I CAN... at some point... :lol: )

Right *NOW* though... especially since I moved to a new state, I don't have a lot (read: any) income coming in from photography... and I am hard-pressed to just pay a CPA right now as a result. I *want* to... I *plan* to... but right this very second... February 14th... I can't. (Maybe next month once I've found a "day job" to pay the bills. :lmao: )

BUT... I do recall one of my friends back home telling me that his CPA gave him a free consultation when he met with her.

So I'm curious... is that common practice among CPA's? If I called one up around here and asked for a consultation, is he/she going to think I'm friggin' nuts, or is it a normal thing? :lol:

Cause if it's fairly common, I'd love to find someone and get a consultation and then go back to them when it's actually time to file taxes and whatever else I decide to use them for.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this...

Just out of interest what does CPA mean? I'm from the web development world and that means something different I think.

My wife's nephew is in Nashville. I've sent him a message & will let you know if anything comes out of it.

Just out of interest what does CPA mean? I'm from the web development world and that means something different I think.
Certified Public Accountant.

I have been through 3 accountants, and none of them charged me when meeting them for the first time, or phone calls, until they filed my taxes months later.

What are you looking to find out?

I am an accountant living in Tennessee, but I am not a CPA. There are many CPA firms in the Nashville area. Faulkner, Mackie & Cochran is small enough that they may talk to you (i.e. not one of the 'Big Four'). You may have better luck with individual CPAs though more so than a firm. I can't help you there, but the yellow pages can. It doesn't hurt to call around and ask. All they can do is say no and hang up. If they are smart though, they will know about serving customers and trying to earn your business long-term. Good luck!

My wife's nephew is in Nashville. I've sent him a message & will let you know if anything comes out of it.

Cool thanks :biggrin:
I have been through 3 accountants, and none of them charged me when meeting them for the first time, or phone calls, until they filed my taxes months later.

What are you looking to find out?

Good to know :)

I just want to make sure my numbers are correct and that I'm aware of all the taxes I'm going to be responsible for concerning the business when it's time to file. ESPECIALLY since I just moved to TN a week ago and I am finding out from people here that there is apparently no income tax :lol: So I just want to make sure that my pricing is accurate when it comes to keeping taxes in mind.

I am an accountant living in Tennessee, but I am not a CPA. There are many CPA firms in the Nashville area. Faulkner, Mackie & Cochran is small enough that they may talk to you (i.e. not one of the 'Big Four'). You may have better luck with individual CPAs though more so than a firm. I can't help you there, but the yellow pages can. It doesn't hurt to call around and ask. All they can do is say no and hang up. If they are smart though, they will know about serving customers and trying to earn your business long-term. Good luck!

Yeah there is a huge community of photographers here, so I'll probably just post in one of the groups and ask for recommendations.

My dad's a CPA and was a CFO for many years. Let me know your questions-i can run them by him. He's pretty much the smartest person I've ever known.

My dad's a CPA and was a CFO for many years. Let me know your questions-i can run them by him. He's pretty much the smartest person I've ever known.

Well my questions are all... tax related... just basically what taxes I'm going to have to pay out and how to take them into account when pricing.

...I don't really have any more specific questions than that, because I don't even really know all WHAT taxes I'm responsible for here.

Like I said, I just moved to Nashville, TN a week ago and I just found out 2 days ago that we don't pay income tax here, which is a whole new concept to me... :lol:

Well my questions are all... tax related... just basically what taxes I'm going to have to pay out and how to take them into account when pricing.

...I don't really have any more specific questions than that, because I don't even really know all WHAT taxes I'm responsible for here.

Like I said, I just moved to Nashville, TN a week ago and I just found out 2 days ago that we don't pay income tax here, which is a whole new concept to me... :lol:

For taxation answers, I recommend going to the State. They are being paid by our tax dollars to answer your questions, and they will be happy to set you up with with a tax ID, withholding or quarterly filing forms, etc.

You can ask the CPA to help you write your business plan.

It sounds like you may be looking for financial planning services, rather than CPA services.

Fee-Only Financial Advisors Home - NAPFA - The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors

is the place to go for fee-only financial planners (i.e. financial planners who DO NOT make money by selling insurance and other products with commissions). Some of them will do a free consult, many of them will do project-based stuff. You might do well to pay a few hundred bucks to really get some stuff nailed down - what you want out of a lifestyle, what you want for a retirement plan if anything, what kind of insurance you need now and later, and so on, and how much money it takes to make it all go.

Any competent financial planner should be able to connect you up to CPAs and other financial industry (insurance brokers, etc) types as necessary.

It's well worth it to find someone to set you up on the right path. I meet with my book keeper twice a year, she keeps me in line and up to date on what new things I need to watch out for.

It's well worth it to find someone to set you up on the right path. I meet with my book keeper twice a year, she keeps me in line and up to date on what new things I need to watch out for.

Yup, that's kind of the idea. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back