Any difference between the Samyang and the Rokinon 12mm?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by SquarePeg, Sep 5, 2019.

1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Other than price????

2. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Samyang, ProOptic, Bower, Opteka, Bell & Howell, Rokinon, Falcon and Walimex and some Vivitars today. I think they're all made in the same factory.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Risky to buy a used lens in this case? Normally I don't hesitate to buy used but I think I recall reading somewhere about the lens being great "if you get a good copy"... There's a pretty sweet deal on a like new Samyang in one of my Facebook groups but the user says he only used it once so how would I know if it's a good copy or not? At that price point is it better just to buy new so I can return it if it's not a good copy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think those for the most part are all that great, are they? At least I never thought they were supposed to be. Except maybe Rokinon, I don't remember Samyang even being around til recently (as in, the internet).

I don't get either what it would mean that a lens would be good if you got a 'good' copy. There's probably a reason if they're cheap. Not really any guarantee buying on Facebook is there if it doesn't work out.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Lens rentals.com used to refer to the "samyrokibow" lenses, and also included the Vivitar brand names. I think Sparky above nailed it… The names are typically importer or trade names, not names of the specific manufacturer. Over the past few years " Rokinon" has gained a reputation as offering for sale a remarkably good 14 mm lens, as long as you get "a good copy "...and according to lensrentals.com a few years ago,these inexpensive lenses had some of the worst reliability records of all the equipment that they rented, with some of the shortest mean time before failure---if my memory serves me correctly, and I think that it does, it was at one time three months on average that these cheap lenses held together. Really, really poor reliability, but compare a $1500 Nikon or Canon 14 mm F2.8 with a $275 14 mm F/2.8 manual focus lens of offbrand origin… For many people the low price would outweigh issues of reliability. Many people were using the 14 mm F/2.8 off brand lenses as star shooters, and were extremely pleased with the results. I am speaking of 'The time around 2010-2013… Since then interest has shifted away from these lenses to other things,and now people are talking more about mirrorless cameras and such.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    From what I understand from reading, Rokinon and Samyang are the same exact lens but the Rok is $60-80 more. Was trying to figure out if there is an advantage to buying one over the other.

This would be used for star/milkyway shooting. It's not something I plan to do a lot of so not going to spend the $900 for the Fuji 10-24 (which is only f/4 anyway). I started looking for a reasonably priced alternative...

7. Soocom1

Soocom1 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I purchased the Rokinon 85mm a bit back and am very pleased with the overall image quality with it.

I remember many years ago that when Vivitar sold out the name rights to whomever, that the manufacturing of them went to S. Korea and some were "good" and some were "bad".

today I have found many reviews on the newer stuff and the reviewers give most of them a good mark.

Sorta like Pyramid stereo components. First REALLY bad, then not so bad and then a main stay of good equipment up until they were bought out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. vintagesnaps

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That sounds familiar, that Vivitar sold out or something and their lenses went downhill.

So Derrel what is meant by a 'good' copy?? Isn't it the same lens that the manufacturer made over and over again? How are some of the same lens good and others not?

9. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    I would assume quality control issues...

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Soocom1

Soocom1 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Think Soviet Russia on a Wednesday.
    Everyone finally sobered up and doing good work but goes to pot by starting vodka early on Thursday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. vintagesnaps

Photos NOT OK to edit
    lol So they didn't care what came out of their factories, huh?... sloppy workmanship and a 'who cares?' attitude it sounds like. No wonder I never got the impression those brands were any good!

12. cgw

cgw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Brand worship can be pricey and that's why these lenses sell. Friends shoot them, like them, and don't seem to be kvetching about "sample variation" or "lemons" so far. They tend to have poor resale value but the Nikon shooters I know just keep them since most were bought for specific purposes and didn't bankrupt them. No one seems to be suffering from breakdowns on these MF lenses. Korean design and QC have improved markedly.

• Like Like x 2