Any difference between the Samyang and the Rokinon 12mm?

It might be a good entry-level lens that motivates you to shoot more UWA shots. If so, consider it a short-term investment towards stepping up to a better tube of glass.

if I might be so bold as to ask, how much did the seller ask for the lens?

$175 NOT including priority shipping and pay pal fees. That’s roughly 35% off the current price of a new one and this one is mint per the seller.

ETA ask was $200 and corrected my response above should have read NOT including shipping and PayPal. I paid $187 total.

Last edited:
It might be a good entry-level lens that motivates you to shoot more UWA shots. If so, consider it a short-term investment towards stepping up to a better tube of glass.

I had the Tokina 11-16 when I had my Nikon kit and it sat mostly unused. I was going to focus on landscapes but just couldn’t get into it at that time. We’ll see if the Astro photography sticks...

The "used" Samyang arrived this afternoon. Exterior is spotless - would never know it was not new. Tried a few shots in the house with focus peaking and seems pretty sharp. I guess the real test will be outside with something in the foreground and background to see how it does. Hopefully can get out there tomorrow and try it out.

Please post a few samples along with your thoughts and whether you would do it again. I've thought about getting a lense like this.

Here are a few photos I took with the Samyang 12mm. I still have hundreds more to edit from the trip so will post those later if any will add or detract from my rating on the lens. All in all, it seems pretty sharp and did well with the astro stuff. The only thing I noted is that infinity focus is not at the infinity mark but just a hair short of that. I'm not a huge fan of wide angles because the background stuff in the middle seems sooo far away. But when the background is just a compliment to the photo - like an ocean horizon with an interesting foreground then it works. If I'm somewhere with nice mountains or cityscape in the background, I don't want to reduce that by using a WA lens. I do think that this is an improvement over the Fuji 14mm that I bought and never use - not enough difference between the 14mm and the 18-55 to make it worth changing lenses and giving up the flexibility of the zoom. For the astro stuff, totally worth it, especially given what I paid. The f/2 allowed me to cut my ISO and keep noise down.

smooth by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Front row seat for the show by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Lit by SharonCat..., on Flickr

I bought a Rokinon 12mm 1;2.0 a while back and was pretty happy with it based upon the price payed; Samyang and at least one other brand are exactly the same but come in at slightly different prices but as I understand there is no difference.

. For the astro stuff, totally worth it, especially given what I paid. The f/2 allowed me to cut my ISO and keep noise down.

Nice tool to have in the bag. Hopefully you'll use it a lot.

F2 ... shoot some interiors and share. That lens is perfect for it.

I'm headed to the UK Friday and hope to capture a few Constablesque landscapes but I travel with the crop sensor and the 18-55 kit lens when on business to save space and that equates to 29mm. That 11mm would be great on APS-C or full frame. I may just have to composite some shots to get what I want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back