Any difference between the Samyang and the Rokinon 12mm?

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by SquarePeg, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    good copy means a lens that has been assembled correctly and which has met a reasonable level of quality control. If a lens is not assembled correctly, or if certain parts do not measure up to the desired specifications, then the lens often has A poor ability to do its job correctly. Quality control costs money and requires a time commitment… With high-priced low production volume
    lenses, such as the lenses made by Leica or those branded by Zeiss (which as I understand it are assembled by hand in Japan by Cosina),Quality control is a very important part of the manufacturing process. With a lens that is sold for $275, quality control is just two words, and not an actual realityin the same way that it is with lenses branded as Leica or as Zeiss. For example the extremely good Zeiss Batis … Buyers of a $4000 lens expect a different level of quality control then do buyers of lenses that cost under $300...

let's put it this way: if you purchase five identical Canon or Nikon lenses you have a good chance of getting five lenses that will all perform adequately well, and possibly, not necessarily, but possibly,one of the five will be a particularly good copy that just happens to have been assembled with perfect components, all of which are put together exactly as specified in the design, With perfect tolerances. there is some degree of sample variation in mass produced lenses, but in the low end lenses that we're talking about there is often terrible consistency, and this is where the "good copy" idea comes from.if you are interested I would suggest reading some of Roger's articles over at lensrentals.com

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  2. RVT1K

RVT1K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To the best of my knowledge, they are from the same source. Sort of like Chevy and GM or Chrysler and Dodge.

I have the ProOptic 8mm f/3.5 fish-eye and I LOVE it! It takes great shots especially when you step it down to f/9 or so, the depth of field is so huge everything is in focus. Plus I just have a ton of fun playing with the distortion. The only minor down-side is that it has to be used fully manually.

I bought a Samyang 14mm f/2.8 used off Craigslist and I love that one, too. My camera will control the aperture on this one but I still need to focus manually. I posted shots of my neighbor's T-bird that I took with that lens and I was very happy with them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SquarePeg

SquarePeg hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well o decided to take a chance on the used one. The seller has the bill of sale from adorAma less than a year ago and the box, packing materials, paperwork etc. pics of the lens look pristine. We will see! It was such a good deal that it won’t be a big loss if it’s a poor copy.

I don’t shoot a lot of wide angle so spending a lot for a high end lens seems like a poor choice.

4. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It might be a good entry-level lens that motivates you to shoot more UWA shots. If so, consider it a short-term investment towards stepping up to a better tube of glass.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    if I might be so bold as to ask, how much did the seller ask for the lens?

6. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    $175 NOT including priority shipping and pay pal fees. That’s roughly 35% off the current price of a new one and this one is mint per the seller.

ETA ask was $200 and corrected my response above should have read NOT including shipping and PayPal. I paid $187 total.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  7. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    I had the Tokina 11-16 when I had my Nikon kit and it sat mostly unused. I was going to focus on landscapes but just couldn’t get into it at that time. We’ll see if the Astro photography sticks...

8. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    The "used" Samyang arrived this afternoon. Exterior is spotless - would never know it was not new. Tried a few shots in the house with focus peaking and seems pretty sharp. I guess the real test will be outside with something in the foreground and background to see how it does. Hopefully can get out there tomorrow and try it out.

9. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like a reason to *Cough* *Cough* leave work early!

• Like Like x 1
  10. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Please post a few samples along with your thoughts and whether you would do it again. I've thought about getting a lense like this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RVT1K

RVT1K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Remember...its never too late to leave early.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Soocom1

Soocom1 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Purple Jaundice?