Any one here in to aviation photography?

FAR148

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
My first post here. My name is Steven and I an amatuer aviation photographer. Was wondering if any one here likes to shot aircraft? Have been shooting air shows and other aviation events for two year now and love it. It's away great to learn new tips and trick from others.

Steven L

Hi and welcome to the group!

I can't say I've ever shot any aircraft, but I'm brand new into dSLR photography. My husband likes to fly his RC airplane and shoot pictures from its belly via remote, but that's as close as I ever get :lol:

There is actually a thread here on this forum, in Photo Themes, for aviation photo specifically....perhaps there's some cool stuff in there!

Welcome to TPF! :)

Welcome to TPF :)

Scott WRG Editor and AIRIC are the Aviation gurus around here :)

You'll also find that a lot of the 'plane' fellas like photographing wild birds, don't be surprised if you find yourself doing this later down the track. ;)

Welcome to TPF, Steve.

PachelbelsCanon350D said:
My husband likes to fly his RC airplane and shoot pictures from its belly via remote....

I've thought about trying that sometime. Do you have any suggestions for getting started with researching that. I looked into it about two years ago but didn't really find the the in-depth info I was looking for online.

Thanks.

afghanjohn said:
I've thought about trying that sometime. Do you have any suggestions for getting started with researching that. I looked into it about two years ago but didn't really find the the in-depth info I was looking for online.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to help you out...my husband is one of those brilliant "physics comes naturally to me" kind of guys :lol: and he has an uncanny talent for building, hacking, modifying, and creating makeshift machines and things that really work. :confused: I just kind of observe in awe.

For his plane camera though, all he did was build a sturdy wooden box that hugs the camera tight against the fuselage so there is no jiggling. It also protects the camera in case of accidents. It's a simple 35mm point and shoot camera, and he somehow programmed his big plane remote control to control the camera also. He presses a button on the ground and the camera shoots from the air. :confused: Sorry, I'm the right-brained artsy half of the marriage :lol:

Hi Steven,

Not sure whereabouts you are - UK?

If you are in the UK a good airshow to take photos from is the Elvington Airshow at York (North Yorkshire). You can get very close to the runway and even with a modest 100mm lens you can almost fill the frame !

Trouble is, you need both hands to plug your ears particularly when a victor bomber or Harrier jump jet is around !

If you or anyone else may be interested in the air show it runs in August and if you drop me an email then I could probably meet you there and .... err ... let you buy me a drink (or something like that lol)

Steve

Most reactions

New Topics

Back