Any suggestion to buy a used car?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by tecboy, Mar 22, 2017.

1. DarkShadow

DarkShadow Birdographer Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hyundai is excellent car, a couple local repair shops in my area highly recommend them, very reliable transportation and have some nice looking body styles. When Hyundai first hit the states as a Korean manufactured car, the reliability was not good had a horrible track record but over the last decade or so Hyundai did a complete 180. I would suggest before jumping into a kia take a hard look at the Hyundai you may find a pristine used one with a warranty. A friend of mine bought a Sonata with leather and put some nice after market rims on it, nothing stupid just a upgrade to the factory rims and man the car was very sharp looking.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Krell0

Krell0 No longer a newbie, moving up!

This forum is always catching my typos haha. Its from really fast phone responses

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

For $10,000 you could look at the Hertz, Enterprise used vehicle market. That way you know the service record. Car Fax is good, but only as good as the mechanics the vehicle is taken to. Go to the dealer and you have a good history. Go to the local garage and they have no requirement or incentive to report the service they give your vehicle.

It's still worth the $45.00 or so to take the used car you are interested in to a reliable mechanic and have them go over it first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DarkShadow

DarkShadow Birdographer Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes good advice above, the last thing you want is a car that appears to be in great shape but may have had frame damage from a previous accident. reputable dealers won't even put a car like that on the lot.There use to be a dealer around like that in my town that got a bad rep when people found out he would sell cars with brake rotors below there minimum specs to families kids in all, what a dirt bag. thank god he went out and closed the doors haha.

5. jake337

jake337 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Honda or 87-93 BMW E30 If your on a budget and want something reliable.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. jake337

jake337 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Get the vin and call a dealership thatvis the same brand as the car. They should have the full service record as long as the owners brought the car in and didn't do the work themselves.

If there is no maintainence history then look for another vehicle.

Short story: Debbies uncle went to look for a used car. There was this super clean 1997 BMW M3 convertible for 10k One owner and Had every tire rotation, oil change, inspection and warranty work since it was purchased.

He ended up with some pos Lexus sc430 with high miles l, iffy record for 25k. Not sure if it's still around.

Moral of the story. Take your time and search the whole country. It may be worth a $150 one way ticket when you find that gem in someone's garage or a dealership.

7. table1349

Personally I wouldn't buy a BMW that is over 7 years old. Before then they had a lot of lease vehicles as they do now. Difference is now you lease a BMW and the oil changes and services are included during the lease period. Back then service wasn't and people that leased them found out that basic service ran a couple hundred dollars a pop, so they just buy passed service since it was a lease anyway. Lots of used BMW's got sold with engines that went bad real quickly. That's why BMW as well as most manufacturers now include service in the lease.

Unless you are a mechanic it is not a wise idea to buy a vehicle that is older than 15 years. Parts get harder and more expensive to find. Especially older foreign vehicles. If it's a vehicle you need day to day, you don't want to be searching for and waiting on parts.

I drive a Honda Pilot and the wife drives a Nissan Rogue. Both are long lasting dependable vehicles as are Toyota and Hyundai.

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    A lot of rental car suggestions here...I've assumed that rental cars get ridden hard and put away wet. Anyone actually bought one themselves?

Your needs in a vehicle are pretty important, IMO, too. My 13 Mazda 3 hatch (all records, one owner, etc etc) would sell for about 10k used probably. If you needed a bigger vehicle, or wanted to sit 4 adults, or whatever though, it wouldn't be an appropriate car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. table1349

Yep, and it was a good long lasting Ford Aerostar. Got rid of it because the teenage driver cracked it up. Mechanically it was still good after 9 years.

10. bogeyguy

bogeyguy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    kick the tires.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. table1349

A lot of people are not aware that the rental companies equip their vehicles with a GPS tracker. It records everywhere you go and the speeds and ways you drive. Those that abuse vehicles quickly find their way onto the black list. Often not with just that rental company, but several companies.

Same thing with a lot of the lease vehicles these days. Ain't technology wonderful.

12. OGsPhotography

OGsPhotography No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

10k will get you a Kia or Hyundai SUV (or car) 3-5 yrs old with 60-100kms on it. Pick your trim and find it there are millions if them on the road. Take it to your mechanic and test drive for a weekend before
    Commiting.

Personally I prefer more Kms on the car and get a " fully loaded" version.

Premium audio/ leather/ power/and V6 are worth looking ( waiting) for. Download autotrader app it will show you proper prices and possibly find the vehicle.

Or, twll a carsalesman at Kia you have 10k lol.