Any suggestion to buy a used car?

I probably need a used car. My dad told me to shop around rental car instead, because I will get the full history a of a car. Any suggestion?

Ha!

Sure if you want a car that has had the piss beaten out of it every time is leaves the lot. Many people, myself included, tend to drive rental cars with little mechanical sympathy because you have only a small amount of money invested in it, and if your job is paying for it, even less. Granted some of the larger rental chains do take reasonable care of their fleets but they often get rid of cars that are due for major services or have issues. Most of the larger rental companies really only keep the current and previous year models on the lot because they have deal with the manufactures.
Not everyone is so inconsiderate of others property

I probably need a used car. My dad told me to shop around rental car instead, because I will get the full history a of a car. Any suggestion?

Ha!

Sure if you want a car that has had the piss beaten out of it every time is leaves the lot. Many people, myself included, tend to drive rental cars with little mechanical sympathy because you have only a small amount of money invested in it, and if your job is paying for it, even less. Granted some of the larger rental chains do take reasonable care of their fleets but they often get rid of cars that are due for major services or have issues. Most of the larger rental companies really only keep the current and previous year models on the lot because they have deal with the manufactures.

Sure, that applies to your neighbor's lawnmower, not a rental car.

Ha!

Sure, that applies to your neighbor's lawnmower, not a rental car.

While I might not look at rental cars in Vegas I may check them out in Florida in the retirement areas.

If you are looking for something reliable and economical, steer away from rental car places the the korean cars for the time being. Your best bets are cars along the lines of a well maintained:
1. Honda Civic/Fit/Accord
2. Toyota Corolla/Camry

These 2 brands and the cars listed have proven to be consistently the amongst the best in their class new and pre-owned. Regardless of what you buy, ask for proof of servicing (oil changes, etc). Take someone with you that knows a little something about cars. Take it out on the highway for a drive and make sure there are no vibrations in the steering, transmission or brake pedal. Test all equipment (seat belts, fan, heat, A/C, radio, signals, lights, etc) to ensure everything is working. Check the condition of the wheels/rims (make sure tires are the same brand/type and correct size. Run the car through a car wash to check for leaks in window/door seals and check under the vehicle in addition to the condition of the engine bay. Spot check the oil...if it's black walk away. Oil should (in most cases) be a honey brown when newer.

If you have any specific questions, please pm me. I eat sleep and breathe everything automotive. I've owned around 30 different vehicles, maintain all of mine, build and even race a couple of mine.

Ryan

I know someone who used to sell used cars from rental agencies. From what he told me, I'll never buy from them. There are a number of dealer groups like CarMax, who don't bicker with you or play price games. The sticker is what the car will sell for. I like that; I'll never buy a new car again.

Most reactions

Back