Any tips to make it better?

Another thing that could help is cropping in more (which some others have already suggested) and maybe also adding a heavier vignette to strengthen focus on the girl in the blue dress?

"Any tips to make it better?"
Do you mean to make it better next time you shoot dancers on stage, or do you mean make it better in editing?

I wouldn't mind not seeing the faces if there was dramatic and expressive body language. In order to capture the emotion of a moment, you need to capture the most intense millisecond. For instance, if you were photographing a yawn, you need to capture it at the height of the yawn, not when the mouth is halfway open or halfway closed.

In this photo, you attempted that by capturing a dramatic moment of the dress. But we want to see it in the people. Everyone is sort of halfway in between moments. There isn't any expression in their bodies. It's just a matter of being patient and recognizing that perfect climax of movement.
Be more patient, and get her face, got it. Thanks!

A lot of the responses here seem to be indicating that if there are people in your picture, then the rules say you must show their face. I can see where this approach is a good idea when you want to have the viewer connect emotionally to the people in the photo, but don't like how it's being portrayed as an absolute rule. There can be any number of reasons why the photographer might feel he/she would generate a greater impact by not including the subject's faces.

I agree with most of you that this particular picture is not as strong as it could be, but I disagree that it's because you can't see the dancer's faces.

I agree with most of you that this particular picture is not as strong as it could be, but I disagree that it's because you can't see the dancer's faces.

Yes that's not the only way to make it better it's just a simple place to start.

Another thing that could be tried and this one could even work fine from back stage is to use a longer shutter speed. Place the camera on a tripod and use a longer shutter speed to exaggerate the movement of the dancers. This would make the movement the subject of the image and not the people.

Faces helps if you want the people to the the subject of the image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I actually like this shot. I love the focus on the little girl dancing. How her skirt flows out and the amazing shadow is on the ground. I don't mind that we can't see her face, or the slight motion blur. To me, it gives a sense of movement. It is very hard for me to get a good idea of the comp b/c the image is so big it doesn't fit on my monitor. But I would definitely crop out almost all the top, the lights and all the darkness above peoples heads. Bringing our eyes back down to the dancer...possibly putting her in the Rule of Thirds.

Not seeing faces might not be an issue of stage position and more of timing, these cool cats seem to me to be dancing Balboa though I might be wrong since I'm not hip to the Cali scene. If they are dancing the Balboa (or any other swing dance) they will be spinning, swinging out, and whipping all night long meaning that faces will be available for photographing from pretty much anywhere as long as it isn't a demo. I agree with aforementioned comments about tilt and using a faster shutter speed though.

A lot of the responses here seem to be indicating that if there are people in your picture, then the rules say you must show their face.
He asked how to make it better. He did not specify if he was talking about before he snapped the shutter or in post-capture editing, so some people made suggestions as to the former.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back