Any wedding or professional photographers use the Rebel T2i or T3i?

The entire Rebel T2i,T3,T3i model cluster-up is an incredible mess...I cannot figure out what Canon is trying to do, except a Sony-style flooding of each and every single price point with "something" that they "hope" will get a sale for the brand at the expense of a competing brand; otherwise they would do what has traditionally been done by Nikon, which is to try and build the best possible camera for each "slot", and then achieve high unit sales of fewer models with much more clearly-defined boundaries between the models. Like say Nikon D90, then Nikon D300s...not T2i,T3,T3i,and 60D all totally clustered-up and confusing what Canon refers to as end-users.
D3100
D5100
D60--sorry Mike, discontinued lonnnng ago
D90--sorry Mike, last generation, but still a HUGE seller for Nikon, their best mid-price body until the D7000 came out
D7000
D300s--sorry Mike, costs around three times as much as a Rebel
D700--sorry Mike, this is a $2,800 pro-type camera not even in the discussion

Discontinued
D40
D40X
D70
D70s
D300
D2X
D2Xs
D2Hs

Doesn't seem any less confusing to me.

You mean like:
Canon1D
Canon1Ds
Canon1D Mark II
Canon 1Ds Mark II
Canon 1D Mark II-n
Canon 1D Mark III
Canon 1Ds Mark III
Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 1Ds Mark IV

Nice try Mike, but woefully inaccurate...one might even say disingenuous as you mix in cameras from multiple generations and include discontinued models in with new models....the T2, T3,T3i,60D are ALL CURRENTLY available models. I don't think most Canon users, let alone the "end-users" Canon is aiming at can figure out the differences among all the current Canon Rebel models. Canon is clearly trying to compete with Sony's practice of flooding the market with cameras separated by around $100 at EACH price point. That's the way Canon is trying to fend off Sony's advances in this low-end market of "cameras as consumer electronics" which are sold at places like Best Buy,Target,K-Mart,and so on. Sony has a LOT of pull as far as getting floor and shelf space for its consumer electronics and cameras, and they realize that for the majority of customers buying at entry-level, each $100 increment represents a buying choice. Even $50 can be a sale/no sale factor in this economy.

And so, we have the Canon T2i, T3, T3i,60D currently on the shelves at Best Buy and Target stores all across the continent. Entry-level Canon d-slr's are aimed at the price-conscious consumer and really have to compete against Sony cameras. Sony has been willing to race to the bottom on price--they NEED to be willing to do that, in order to gain market share, and Sony has made huge gains in market share. Nikon's not trying to flood the low end with four nearly-identical models with nearly identical names in one segment--I do not think they have the production capacity to flood the market with clones, but also, Nikon is not being sold at nearly as many "consumer electronics" outlets as either Sony or Canon. Nikon is allowing/watching/observing as Canon fends off Sony in the battle of "cameras as consumer electronics devices", and continuing to try and engineer the best camera they can in each segment, and to then run the design as long as it's still an excellent performer in its class...not rushing to iterate on 14-month buying cycles for pro-active consumers who are craving a new hobby camera, or for retailers who want a "closely-spaced pricing matrix". Nikon also uses sensors made by Sony...so Nikon knows which side the bread is buttered on...Sony's arrival has changed the way Canon markets, and Sony's sales simply dwarf Pentax and Olympus figures. Sony is a very powerful player in a segment where the choices are made mostly based on price, rebates, and package deals with kit lenses. Canon is willing to take Sony on at that game. Hence the Canon Rebel cluster-up.

The only problem I see in Canon's line up, is that the T2i hasn't been discontinued yet. Other than that, it's easy to see that the T3 is the lowest, the T3i is next, then the 60D, 7D, 5D etc.
What's so complicated about that?

Nikon has the D3100, D5100, D7000, D90 (should this be discontinued by now), D700 etc.

Similar line up to my eyes.

A guy I know does a fairly good sideline with a Canon 40D and and canon 350d as a back up. We could split hairs as to whether the 40D produces better images than the rebel series. Lots prefer layout etc but I would think an able photographer who knows his rebel or whatever would manage the job. The entry level DSLRs now have specs that would rival semi-pro cameras just few short years ago. How long they last is another thing but could you do a wedding with a rebel? If your a good wedding photographer familiar with canon,I think you shouldn't have a problem

Most reactions

Back