Any wedding or professional photographers use the Rebel T2i or T3i?

TCUphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am thinking about getting the Canon Rebel T2i (I don't see a huge difference in the T3i based on internet specs I've seen), but I was wondering if that will be good enough for running a professional business on? I already have some business planned for next year, including a wedding, and would like something better than my old Pentax K100D I rely on now. Plus, I would like to have a second camera just in case...

Or should I cough up the extra cash and go for something better? I am a full time med student so I need the best bang for my buck.

Thanks!

Here is an (in)famous wedding photographer who was using a Rebel, and an 18-55 kit zoom and a pokey 70-300...this is kind of the way I think many customers feel about people shooting "professionally" with entry-level equipment. The entire Rebel T2i,T3,T3i model cluster-up is an incredible mess...I cannot figure out what Canon is trying to do, except a Sony-style flooding of each and every single price point with "something" that they "hope" will get a sale for the brand at the expense of a competing brand; otherwise they would do what has traditionally been done by Nikon, which is to try and build the best possible camera for each "slot", and then achieve high unit sales of fewer models with much more clearly-defined boundaries between the models. Like say Nikon D90, then Nikon D300s...not T2i,T3,T3i,and 60D all totally clustered-up and confusing what Canon refers to as end-users.

Honestly, I have no idea why you'd switch from Pentax to Canon when the Canon would be a Rebel...

If it were ME, and I were switching systems TODAY, I'd look at a Nikon camera for better light metering (color-aware, not color-blind) and better flash metering (color- and distance-aware) and better multi-flash/remote flash control (15 year head start on Canon on both color-aware ambient and flash metering and control). Besides, Pentax and Nikon share a lot of similarities in lens mounting/dismounting, focusing directions/SONY-made sensor technology, and body and control design ethos. Pentax and Nikon cameras are actually reasonably similar, whereas Canon's tiny buttons and weird controls are vastly different from those of Pentax or Nikon.

WHATEVER you want to get--make SURE it feels good to you!!!!!!!! Don;t let me, or anybody else make the decision on how to spend YOUR dollars. I shoot Canon most of the time nowadays, but don't like the bodies. The files are good though, and it's all payed for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an (in)famous wedding photographer who was using a Rebel, and an 18-55 kit zoom and a pokey 70-300...this is kind of the way I think many customers feel about people shooting "professionally" with entry-level equipment. The entire Rebel T2i,T3,T3i model cluster-up is an incredible mess...I cannot figure out what Canon is trying to do, except a Sony-style flooding of each and every single price point with "something" that they "hope" will get a sale for the brand at the expense of a competing brand; otherwise they would do what has traditionally been done by Nikon, which is to try and build the best possible camera for each "slot", and then achieve high unit sales of fewer models with much more clearly-defined boundaries between the models. Like say Nikon D90, then Nikon D300s...not T2i,T3,T3i,and 60D all totally clustered-up and confusing what Canon refers to as end-users.

Honestly, I have no idea why you'd switch from Pentax to Canon when the Canon would be a Rebel...

If it were ME, and I were switching systems TODAY, I'd look at a Nikon camera for better light metering (color-aware, not color-blind) and better flash metering (color- and distance-aware) and better multi-flash/remote flash control (15 year head start on Canon on both color-aware ambient and flash metering and control). Besides, Pentax and Nikon share a lot of similarities in lens mounting/dismounting, focusing directions/SONY-made sensor technology, and body and control design ethos. Pentax and Nikon cameras are actually reasonably similar, whereas Canon's tiny buttons and weird controls are vastly different from those of Pentax or Nikon.

WHATEVER you want to get--make SURE it feels good to you!!!!!!!! Don;t let me, or anybody else make the decision on how to spend YOUR dollars. I shoot Canon most of the time nowadays, but don't like the bodies. The files are good though, and it's all payed for.

Wow. Point taken. Thanks for the help :)

You should probably have professional-level equipment for professional-level work. Even if you did shoot with a Rebel for some crazy reason, you'd want some nice glass on there to get the best shots. A nice camera is an investment that will quickly pay for itself if you truly do have a bunch of jobs lined up.

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

Ha ha that was an awesome video, those pictures were not only poor but trashy lookin too. Just make sure if you don't watch the whole video you forward to the verdict and keep in mind they were asking for $1000 back. It reminds me of a local company who posted on their site we have a professional Canon XS Dslr on their website, like it was a reason to use them. They obviously never made it to Canons website. This video should be on the main page just to keep people on planet earth.

I'd bet that some pro's use them as a back-up/second body. The T2i is a solid camera. As a primary? No way. You'd want at least a 7D, 5D, or 1D.

Any wedding or professional photographers use the Rebel T2i or T3i?
Yes, but both of those cameras are entry-level cameras - 2 grade levels below professional grade.

A main issue is shutter life expectancy. Entry-level cameras are not expected to be used nearly as often as pro grade cameras. Hence their shutters are not designed to last as long as pro grade shutters.

Canon discloses Camera Shutter Life Expectancy :)

Canon does not publish shutter life expectancy in the Overview of their cameras on their CanonUSA web site. Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS Rebel T3i 18-55mm IS II Kit

Nikon does at NikonUSA.com. Digital SLR Cameras | Nikon Digital Cameras | D-SLR Camera
For the D7000 -
Compact but durable with magnesium-alloy top and rear covers, superior weather and dust seals and a 150,000 cycle-rated shutter system providing reliable operation...

D5000 -
Durable, high precision shutter
Testing to over 100,000 cycles assures precision and long shutter life.

D3s -
Rugged and Precise Magnesium Alloy Construction
Effectively protected from invasive dust, moisture and electromagnetic interference with a self-diagnostic shutter mechanism tested to exceed 300,000 cycles

Canon T3i -
Overview - The REBEL on the Move.
Photographers looking for an easy-to-use camera that will help them create their next masterpiece need look no further than the Canon EOS Rebel T3i. The next in a long line of phenomenal compact DSLRs, the EOS Rebel T3i continues the Rebel tradition of easy operation, compact design and no-compromise performance. Featuring Canon's newest DIGIC 4 Image Processor and an 18.0 Megapixel CMOS Image Sensor - plus cutting-edge technologies like Full HD video recording, Live View shooting, Wireless flash photography and even a Vari-angle 3.0-inch LCD monitor - the EOS Rebel T3i offers the best of EOS photography in a compact package.

OP, I suggest save pennies and buy decent gear for your upcoming wedding job. This is just a hobby for me, but I wasted a lot of time in the beginning getting entry level stuff (just to upgrade it all anyway).

get a second hand 7D and get the 50mm 1.8 EF lens which is about 80mm on the 7D from memory it should cost about $100 new in us even cheaper secand hand.

The entire Rebel T2i,T3,T3i model cluster-up is an incredible mess...I cannot figure out what Canon is trying to do, except a Sony-style flooding of each and every single price point with "something" that they "hope" will get a sale for the brand at the expense of a competing brand; otherwise they would do what has traditionally been done by Nikon, which is to try and build the best possible camera for each "slot", and then achieve high unit sales of fewer models with much more clearly-defined boundaries between the models. Like say Nikon D90, then Nikon D300s...not T2i,T3,T3i,and 60D all totally clustered-up and confusing what Canon refers to as end-users.
D3100
D5100
D60
D90
D7000
D300s
D700

Discontinued
D40
D40X
D70
D70s
D300
D2X
D2Xs
D2Hs

Doesn't seem any less confusing to me.

The entire Rebel T2i,T3,T3i model cluster-up is an incredible mess...I cannot figure out what Canon is trying to do, except a Sony-style flooding of each and every single price point with "something" that they "hope" will get a sale for the brand at the expense of a competing brand; otherwise they would do what has traditionally been done by Nikon, which is to try and build the best possible camera for each "slot", and then achieve high unit sales of fewer models with much more clearly-defined boundaries between the models. Like say Nikon D90, then Nikon D300s...not T2i,T3,T3i,and 60D all totally clustered-up and confusing what Canon refers to as end-users.
D3100
D5100
D60
D90
D7000
D300s
D700

Discontinued
D40
D40X
D70
D70s
D300
D2X
D2Xs
D2Hs

If you do read what Nikon says, you'll understand how their gap are clearly defined. Lots of Canon DSLRs seems to be almost the same.

D3100
D5100
D60
D90
D7000
D300s
D700

Discontinued
D40
D40X
D70
D70s
D300
D2X
D2Xs
D2Hs

If you do read what Nikon says, you'll understand how their gap are clearly defined. Lots of Canon DSLRs seems to be almost the same.

Uhhh, D60 was discontinued when the D3000 came out....

I would suggest to at least get a pro lens. This video shows an example of that:

Most reactions

Back