Anyone been taken using eBay?

railman44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I watched a show on a news channel tonight dedicated to eBay. They presented the good, bad and the ugly. I've been a member of eBay since 1998 and really have no complaint. I've sold and bought lots of "stuff" and never have had a problem. Okay, I had one $10 check bounce from something I sold. Big deal. I've bought great Nikkor lenses that have been used very little if any and babied for far less than the current retail price. Heck, all of the "used" AF Nikkor f/2.8 lenses I've bought I would consider new. If I went to my local camera store for what I've bought just in the AF F/2.8 D lens category, I'd be out at least another $1,500 bucks and that's being conservative. Anyone had any real problems or am I just real lucky?

Not had a single problem either. My mum had one person from America who she bought something from. They claimed the item had been sent and got very verbal going on about someone they knew being in Iraq or something and that we were evil and nasty. When you look at their history they've got aggressive to people a few times. Personally, I wouldn't have bid with them because I would have seen that they have negative feedback, checked it out and not trusted them.

There have been lots of times I've seen an item I've wanted, checked out the seller and then not wanted it so much. I think if you're careful you shouldn't have any problems. Bad luck excluded.

I tend to only buy stuff from ebay shops that risk losing their business if they screw up and if making ane expensive I usually take a few days to think about it if there's time and check out their history. I had to pay Duty on a D70s which was expected but I still saved money compared with buying it on the highstreet. I did find a D2X "cheap" and emailed the seller - it turned out someone had hacked the account!

I've had lot's of good transactions, and only one real problem. I bid on, and won an A16 Hasselblad back. When it arrived it turned out to be an A16S film back. An A16 back makes 16 6x4.5cm negs on a roll of 120, and an A16S back makes 16 4x4cm negs. I checked the auction again, and it definately said A16, and showed a photo of an A16 back. I emailed the seller, but he sort of said "It's close enough.", and refused to negotiate. Ebay was no help. If you have problems you can fill out a bunch of forms, but basically it turns out they can't really do much if someone rips you off. So I have an A16S Hassy back going cheap if anyone needs one.

We've only had problems similar to Matt's - a lens cap for one of his Rollei's that was listed as bay 1, and when it arrived it was a bay 2. The seller checked out all right, so there was no reason not to trust them, just a case of them not really knowing the item they'd listed.

We've bought lots of other stuff, cameras, our enlarger, miscellaneous darkroom supplies, that have all been as described and no problems.

Not taken, just pain in the butt users. A couple that took for ever to pay.

I bought something (good deal on a gamecube) and they didnt even have it in stock. I waited and waited and was told it was stuck at the border (they ship it in from somewhere in the USA and then sell them on ebay). At the time they had my money and cashed it and it took forever just to get my money back because I gave them enough time to get the gamecube and send it to me. Eventually I got my money back after a couple warnings from ebay.

one product i sold never got to the guy. yes i did send it. no refund either, it's his fault he didn't get insurance.

railman44,

I have been buying and selling on Ebay every since they first opened their doors, or their site should I say :) ..

Out of all the items I have either bought or sold through Ebay there was only once instance where I sent money to a individual and did not recieve the item I sent payment for.. But luckily that was only for a $50 purchase..

So I guess as with anything else go with your gut feelings & be sure to research the sellers feedback for any major complaints..

Also when making payments, be sure to use a third party such as PayPal or send a postal money order.. But I am sure you already knew that since you have been on there for a while..

I have yet to buy lenses on there, soon enough im sure I will :)

-iSellJerseyShore

Never had any real problems, a few slow items but at least they arrived

The most i've spent is AU$900 on my camera+accesories
Not any problems and i've always believed that if you are careful its easy to avoid problems

I just joined up last weekend and made four purchases. The last one is taking its time since it's coming from Toronto into the US. All of them have been smooth and even USPS got them here within the week, which for them is good.

I got a nice used Photo Trekker for 27 bucks O_O

No real problems here as well. A few slow shippers here and there but no snags. I spend a decent amount of time (see my avatar...) on E-bay, looking at vintage cameras. I have bought Leicas and Hassy items without any problems. I have sold a decent amount as well, all received in good condition. I guess I was lucky. :D

Most reactions

Back