Anyone buy from Vistek?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by epp_b, Mar 11, 2009.

1. adamwilliamking

adamwilliamking TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why would you ask a consumer photo sales person how to sync a flash to gear that is in our pro section? :lol:

2. The Photo Punk

The Photo Punk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was just in TO for a event shoot and rented a prime 20mm canon lens and found the experience to be great.

3. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have purchased from them over the net and in person,
    I have never had a bad experence with them.

4. Solthar

Solthar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I purchased my Sigma lens from them online a couple months ago and had no problems, apart from the delivery being late - but that was actually purulators fault :sexywink:.

5. JE Kay

JE Kay TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    We dealt with Vistek for years, bought thousands of dollars worth of cameras, video equip, printers, computers etc. That was only tolerable because we knew exactly what we wanted and didn't have to deal with the constant useless sales people.

Then we started ordering our paper and inks etc from them online - That was the beginning of the end. Worst ordering/shipping experiences ever. Wrong items shipped, late orders, partial orders held when specifically told not to. Items not shipped period. Bad customer service. It finally ended up costing us money with one of our customers. Never again. :thumbdown:

If Vistek was the only photography source on the planet, I'd give it up and go work at Burger King.

6. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well i thought it was a pretty basic question lol the 430EX is in the consumer section and i was just asking about a button on it. I think most entry level on camera strobes have a high speed sync button, or some variation of it.

7. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey, Adam why has Nik Viveza been permanently out of stock at your store for the last year, when it has been available in other stores? Phoning your store doesn't help either.

skieur

8. adamwilliamking

adamwilliamking TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Hey

Not sure why we havent received shipment on that product.
    Our Toronto store has only one left in inventory so it could be a stock issue at the Manu. If you want one I could get it sent this way so let me know.

9. smyth

smyth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The only dealings I have had with Vistek have been lens rentals. I've rented from them twice, and it was pretty good, very nice staff and what not, but Headshots had better prices (well for me anyways, because I'm a student) but unfortunately Headshots closed their Ottawa office, so to rent from them I have to arrange it way in advance from Toronto, so I have to rent from Vistek.

But my dealings with Vistek have been good, and the staff was very friendly, helpful and knowledeable.

10. hoyinsiu

hoyinsiu TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    vistek is good. i have never had problem with them.

11. JE Kay

JE Kay TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Use their ordering/shipping services, especially for business critical items and stock. Then wait....:meh:

12. rubbertree

rubbertree TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I have had both good and bad experiences with them. There is one local to me and I have gone in person to by my current DSLR and kit lens, also my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. I was looking for a telephoto and didn't want to pay the Nikon price for that lens when the sales guy turned me on to the Sigma. Special ordered it in, threw in a B&W UV filter for free and gave me a nice little discount on top of that. He was flirting, that was fine by me.
    I've also ordered online from them a few times. One transaction was so so. I had multiple items in that order and some were "special order" so they kept the whole order waiting for those things to come in stock. I got fed up and told them to cancel the order and I'd buy elsewhere. They then rearranged the order and shipped out the available stuff immediately and then sent the remaining stuff when it arrived at no extra cost.
    I will always compare prices with McBains because they almost always have the same items for cheaper or will price match. They gave me a wicked deal on my Sigma 10-20 and on my SB -600, oh and the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 was cheaper there also.
    I have just ordered the new Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM from Vistek as well, it was cheaper than McBains or any other place in Canada and it was shipped out that day! Pretty happy about that. If something says "special order" go elsewhere or you could be waiting weeks. Which is unacceptable really. Why should it take weeks to order something in??
    So I would say that price wise, it's almost always better to shop elsewhere, but once in a while you can get a better deal at Vistek. If you can only find that item at Vistek, call McBains, they will order in anything you want.
    And if you are not opposed to letting the salesman flirt with you, you can definately score some great deals. :p

ETA: I think Visteks free shipping starts at $400.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009