Anyone else ever get automatically elected for event photographer

Kbarredo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bring my camera every even I go to because I dont want to miss any good shots. Dont get me wrong I love to take pictures but it gets annoying at times. I was just at a party one time and I was done taking pics and just wanted to relax and grab some food. Then everyone decides I should document the whole party. Then they ask me to send them copies after I edit them. Im am I a guest or a free photographer? I just basically got swindled into taking an even shoot for free. I love to take pictures but I also like talking and just hanging out with my friends as well. The last thing I want to do is take pictures after Ive had 4 drinks. Its usually in the worst time also. Ive been asked to shoot people outside in sunny as hell weather, or pitch black night without my flash.
Sorry about the rant folks.

Are you a pushover?
what the heck is up with the beard photos. Looks like a santa clause parade in here. ANd yes I am a pushover. As big as I am I cant say no to people who ask for my help.

ANd yes I am a pushover. As big as I am I cant say no to people who ask for my help.

Look, if you don't want to do it then don't. It truly is that simple.

Truly.

Why don't you just fight them? That ought to shut them up.

Kbarredo said:
I bring my camera every even I go to because I dont want to miss any good shots. Dont get me wrong I love to take pictures but it gets annoying at times. I was just at a party one time and I was done taking pics and just wanted to relax and grab some food. Then everyone decides I should document the whole party. Then they ask me to send them copies after I edit them. Im am I a guest or a free photographer? I just basically got swindled into taking an even shoot for free. I love to take pictures but I also like talking and just hanging out with my friends as well. The last thing I want to do is take pictures after Ive had 4 drinks. Its usually in the worst time also. Ive been asked to shoot people outside in sunny as hell weather, or pitch black night without my flash.
Sorry about the rant folks.

There's a word I'm thinking of. Gosh, it's right on the tip of my tongue. It's a pretty common word. Oh right, "No."

Just say no. It's simple. No one swindled you, you just caved under pressure. They're your photos, do what you want with them. Typically, in this situation, I'll post one or two for people to look at. If I don't care about them I might even post a couple on Facebook for my friends to 'steal.'

You made this problem for yourself, no one made you do anything.

And, they aren't asking for your help. They're asking you for a free service. There's a difference.

I slap an autofocus lens on the camera, turn the dial to the little green square, and just pass it around. If peops at a party want pics beyond what I've shot, they can get them themselves, most of the time people like to play with the cam anyway.

Usually only happens on family occasions but even then it's pretty easy to avoid: "Can't man, my battery died." Or something along the lines.

I say no from time to time
I had one guy tell me " I thought you loved photography?"
I responded with " You love your plumbing job wanna repipe my whole house for free?".

I tell them I don't have enough memory on my card... I understand they're ur friends, and u don't wanna tell them to get stuffed and to buy their own damn camera.. lol.

My wife is always asking me to document every family party or get together they do. Yes, it gets annoying.

:lol:Is it possible they don't want you in the photos

:lol:Is it possible they don't want you in the photos
I don't even want the photos taken at all with or without me. I'm eating for eff sakes.

If I have a feeling it's going to turn into one of those events, I simply "forget" my camera at home. Birthday parties for other parents children, forgot it. Company holiday parties, forgot it. A wedding or two, forgot it. It's pretty easy.

Dress up in camouflage, this way no one will see you or your camera there and you can just carry on and listen to all the nice things people say about you when they *think* you're not around ;)

Just happened to me. As some of you know I shoot nature not people.

Invited to a reception - bring your camera. People milling all about & trying to get shots of the principals. I finally quietly asked them to step outside away from the confusion so I could get a couple pics without other body parts in the frame. Guess what, a herd of folks followed us out & got in the way.

Oh well here are a couple examples:

1. inside, available light

P1070557sm.jpg

2. inside, available light

P1070563sm.jpg

3. outside, fill flash 1/16 power

P1070597sm.jpg

Most reactions

Back