Anyone else get the Glow?

dEARlEADER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

When I first starting viewing pictures on my Vista machine, I noticed the photo gallery had a tendency to augment the photo on the warm side (orange). It makes the pictures hard to quick edit because you are starting with a photo that appears different to begin with.

I circumvented the Glow by switching to Picasa for quick views and edits. It seems to show pictures as they were taken. For more serious editing, I used the Gimp. Which also showed true pictures.

Now I have downloaded PS Elements and I noticed the glow is back.... but only when I bring the picture into the full editor. If I view the picture with the organizer... no glow... wtf???

Incidently, i use the vista machine to display my pic's as a screen saver. The screen saver program (which i assume is still photo gallery) doesn't show the glow.

I spent an hour last night in PS editing a B&W scenic picture. Everything looked good and balanced. I saved it... and viewed it through Picasa... it looked like crap because I tuned the highlights and shadows according to the artificial glow!!!

Anyone else notice this problem? or have any suggestions??

I shoot with a D60, fine JPEG. I don't think it's monitor calibration because the picture will appear correct in some programs. It seems to only be in the editing modes of the programs that cause the glow.

Advice?

I'm thinking you might need to embed a color profile image and use editors and viewers that recognize the profile. I'm about to go through the painful process of learning about color profiles and such, so I don't know much yet. I'm having some similar issues between programs and the web, as well as my monitor showing colors less saturated then they should be.

thanks anthithis

is there anyone that has already been through this that could supply any quick tips???

I've tried searching the forum history and can't find what I'm looking for..

many thanks..

I hadn't noticed a warm glow so I looked at a raw file with Vista and then looked at the same raw file in Lightroom2. Looked the same to me.

I hadn't noticed any glow or anything after switching to Vista but what I can tell you is that, it took me exactly 24 hours to wipe my machine and slap Windows XP back on it so here's my two cents on Vista: :thumbdown:

Most reactions

Back