Anyone giving the Perseid Meteor Shower a try tonight?

NickRummy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It comes annually and I guess tonight is the night.

Astronomers expect up to 200 meteors per hour in short bursts of up to 15 minutes or so. But many of the fainter meteors will simply not be visible due to moonlight, and rates will go down even more for those in urban areas. More likely a typical observer under reasonably dark skies might hope to see a meteor every couple minutes when the bursts come, and fewer during lulls.

When to watch

The best time to watch is between midnight and dawn Wednesday. Forecasters say the best stretch could come between 4 a.m. and 5 a.m. ET (1-2 a.m. PT), which would be after daybreak in Europe. Some Perseids might be visible late Tuesday night, and Wednesday night into Thursday morning could prove worthwhile, too.
Perseid Meteor Shower Article

I'm not sure if I'll be in a position to try but wanted to make sure everyone knew because I'd be interested in seeing the attempts!

Here are a few other threads I found when doing a quick search on the same subject.

Thread by AstroStu with a nice photo

Thread by JayJay65 inquiring about technique

here's my attempt...

2j4r8ma.jpg

At least you caught one! I couldn't even bring myself to get up and watch the show.

It was too cloudy around my area, and I had work the next morning at 7am, so I couldn't exactly spend an hour and a half driving up to the mountains in the wee hours of the morning. Would have liked to catch some images though...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back