anyone have any suggestions on good but affordable signs?

msf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good online supplier for a sign. I need two signs *one for each direction* for my new studio. I went to one place that Ive been told is the cheapest, and he said $250 for two pannels, thats something like 67" wide *forgets exact number, the sheet with the size is at the studio* and 4' tall. I am very tempted to go to lowes, purchase a large plywood board that is all white on the top, for $20 or $30, make stencils for every letter out of card stock, and make my own sign for less than $50. I have my artistic moments, so Im sure I can do this and have it look great. But its also time consuming. I just spent 4 days putting my pvc tubing backdrop stand together, I thought Id be able to do it in one day. nope. :) If I can find an online place that can do the sign in the $100 range, that would be great. I was hoping someone here would know of a place. Any help is greatly appreciated.

$250 for 2 signs that size is a great price.

If you do something online don't forget to consider shipping costs.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good online supplier for a sign. I need two signs *one for each direction* for my new studio. I went to one place that Ive been told is the cheapest, and he said $250 for two pannels, thats something like 67" wide *forgets exact number, the sheet with the size is at the studio* and 4' tall. I am very tempted to go to lowes, purchase a large plywood board that is all white on the top, for $20 or $30, make stencils for every letter out of card stock, and make my own sign for less than $50. I have my artistic moments, so Im sure I can do this and have it look great. But its also time consuming. I just spent 4 days putting my pvc tubing backdrop stand together, I thought Id be able to do it in one day. nope. :) If I can find an online place that can do the sign in the $100 range, that would be great. I was hoping someone here would know of a place. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Considering that photography is an art, making your own sign for $50 could go both ways....
Either they see it as artistic with your personal touch being displayed in all aspects of your business...or they will see cheap piece of plywood that says, "bla bla bla, skip me."
But even if you pay someone $250, you could still end up the later. Its all about what it looks like when it is finished.

Just an idea...a piece of plywood that is painted either a light or dark color (not white or black), and then the opposite for lettering, and then framed with a suitable frame, could make for an extremely attractive sign, that shows creativity, and yet doesn't look like you were just skimping out on it. (granted to frame something that big with a thick frame is going to cost a lot money)

Last edited:
...But its also time consuming....

Time=money

Frankly, two signs in the range of 67"w x 48"h is a steal, even for the simpliest and most banal text only layout.

Keep these points in mind:
1. The sign will set an image of the quality of your business. Shoddy workmanship and/or poor typographic layout will create a very negative image.
2. Many jurisdictions have code restrictions on commercial signs. You may be required to have a city or parish permit to install a sign. A good sign shop should give you that information.

I design signs for a living these days. Here in Key West, FL, we have very strict code requirements for all signs. In the unincorporated portions of the county permits are required from the county. While permit fees are an added expense, they are less than the fines imposed on unpermitted signs. There are several sign shops in town, but several don't tell their customers the true facts about permitting because they aren't licensed contractors that can pull the needed permits. Our shop is a licensed sign contractor and we pull permits when necessary and do our own installations. Some other shops work with a general contractor for permitting and installation and others just leave their customers in the dark.

Most reactions

Back