Anyone Interested in Photography Mini-Guide for Lunar Eclipse?

Are you interested in a guide for eclipse photography?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alright, I didn't mean to start a hate-fest, I just wanted to indicate that I thought Aquarium Dreams' wording was such that - even though I figured it was meant as a joke - it was hard to read it like that and it reads more naturally as "punkish," for lack of a better word. I hope to have a rough draft finished at some point on Sunda and sent to Garbz a day or so later for looking-over.

Now I am giggling.

See---> :lol:

I'm happy the nuances of my immaturity translate clearly onscreen.:mrgreen:

This whole thread makes me happy.:mrgreen::lovey:

Now back to you, Stu.

I already voted yes, I'm interested.
I was going to ask where the eclipse is going to be visible... but did some research myself. Here you can see info on the event.
I guess the "eclipse contacts" refer to the time when the phases will take place? Anybody knows what kind of time is that? Stu?
Edit: I got it UT is greenwich std time, so total eclipse starts 10:01 pm EST.

guess the "eclipse contacts" refer to the time when the phases will take place? Anybody knows what kind of time is that? Stu?

Page 3 of the current draft of the guide:

A lunar eclipse has 6 main "contact" points (as defined by NASA) that govern the main stages:
• P1 - Initial stage of contact, when the Moon first enters Earth's penumbra.
• U1 - Initial stage of contact with Earth's umbra.
• U2 - Entire moon is within Earth's umbra.
• U3 - Moon's limb begins to exit Earth's umbra, moving into the penumbra.
• U4 - Moon's limb emerges from Earth's penumbra.
• P2 - Entire moon is outside of Earth's shadow, ending the eclipse.​

I say go for it (looks like you have) I would love to read it. I've done a eclipse before and I primarily do astrophotos but you might do something that I haven't done before and I could learn something new.

Can you give some preliminary information in regard to spotting a site. What to look for, what to avoid, which direction to be facing, what time, etc.

Thanks

Can you give some preliminary information in regard to spotting a site. What to look for, what to avoid, which direction to be facing, what time, etc.

Thanks

I'm no expert, but I've been watching the moon for a couple pf months and reading a bit, to get a feeling of it's behaviour.

Lunar eclipses happen on a full moon, and moon's orbit varies little in a month, so you can take the next full as a reference. (Jan 22nd).

The moon delays about one hor per day, that means, you can predict where it will be by watching a couple of days before. In a given day and time, the moon will be in the same (aprox) position it was the day before, one hour earlier.

The lunar eclipse on Feb 20 will start (total) at 10:00 EST.

(I hope I didn't say anything stupid. If I did, Stu please correct me)

I'd be keen on reading what you have written. It's quite a generous task you have undertaken, and I am eager to learn from your effort. I'll watch this post for updates. Thanks.

Lunar eclipses happen on a full moon, and moon's orbit varies little in a month, so you can take the next full as a reference. (Jan 22nd).

The moon delays about one hor per day, that means, you can predict where it will be by watching a couple of days before. In a given day and time, the moon will be in the same (aprox) position it was the day before, one hour earlier.

The lunar eclipse on Feb 20 will start (total) at 10:00 EST.

(I hope I didn't say anything stupid. If I did, Stu please correct me)

Close enough. :)

Well I put no myself as, I have shot a couple of Lunars and, have one good pic of a partial Solar we had here years ago. I shoot afocally myself but, this time around I may use my 80-400 VR to shoot this one. I think it is a good idea for those who have never shot any astrophotos though.

First off, to Astrostu, thanks much for working to put together a guide based on experience of how to shoot these things. I've done alot of night photography, but like another poster, quality wall-hanger-worthy "sky" shots have eluded me.

And to both Astrostu and Garbz, those are fantastic photos! Incredible!

Finally, this might make a good TPF photo contest--pics of the lunar eclipse. Just a thought . . .

Jeff

Most reactions

Back