anyone knows where I can buy insurance for my photography equipment?

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,
I live in Miami, Florida and I just started photography, I currently bought a new Canon DSLR and some lenses. I dont do this for business but I would like to insure my equipment against loss, damage or theft. I will be shooting down in the keys and I am afraid something might happen to the equipment, damage or theft. I tried calling some insurance companies but they want to sell me homeowners insurance(which covers against theft but nothing else). Anyone has any tips or insurance companies that offer this type of insurance without having to purchase something else?

THanks.

My insurance company let me add a rider to my home owners policy but essentially it was all covered anyway...even when I'm out of the house.

Okay, a little more information is needed - like do you have your own insurance policy already? As in, do you rent or own and so have homeowner's or renter's insurance? If so, you just ask them to put a rider on to cover your equipment. Note that if you DO end up using it for a business, most insurance companies will require you to to get separate insurance as part of a business insurance plan.

Call a local State Farm agent and explain to them you would like a Separate Articles Policy for your photography gear. Be prepared to provide a receipt showing the cost of all the gear you wish to cover along with serial numbers for all bodies, lenses, flash units etc. It costs about $12.00 a year per $1,000.00 worth of gear covered. The policy will cover, theft, loss, and plain ole' butterfinger accidents with no deductible.

If you ever start shooting for money, you will need to look into business insurance as this is only for gear of a non working photographer.

My rider on my insurance for $12,000 worth of equipment is around $300 for the year. Not too bad considering I make money with my gear.

Call a local State Farm agent and explain to them you would like a Separate Articles Policy for your photography gear. Be prepared to provide a receipt showing the cost of all the gear you wish to cover along with serial numbers for all bodies, lenses, flash units etc. It costs about $12.00 a year per $1,000.00 worth of gear covered. The policy will cover, theft, loss, and plain ole' butterfinger accidents with no deductible.

If you ever start shooting for money, you will need to look into business insurance as this is only for gear of a non working photographer.

You're almost dead on. I'm with State Farm, and my rider is $180/yr for $14K, which figures to $12.86 per $1000 coverage....and it's the best money I've ever spent. I've yet to use it, but the peace of mind is worth far more. I know that if I am hanging out of a tree shooting an owl's nest, and I "butterfinger" a 500 f/4 + camera.....all I have to do is make a phone call.

If you are not a homeowner, some companies will do riders on renter's insurance as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back